Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks man. The front are toy rears that bent, the rear are YJ's, and with running shackle rear and soon an anti-wrap bar hopefully I won't bend those. Gotta source another pack of rears to start building what I have in mind, hopefully can locate a pair soon.

I might be able to, not sure. Talked to D Boz to pick his brain and he came up with maybe a kinked hard line that is allowing fluid to pass through from the pressure of the brake pedal but cannot return, making the calipers stick. I'll poke around today and see if I can find anything.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Ah I see. I used to run toy rears on my old ftoy styled buggy and also had some issues with bending. If you look around in the ftoy forum you will find how some use simple spring clamps to help the leafs out. It worked on mine for the most part

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah I'm planning to use two of the number two leafs that have the military wrap, one forward one backwards and drill a new center pin hole and then clamp the three leafs near the leaf bracket.

After reading some threads, combining those two things should really help to not bend them. Time will tell though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Ditched the 14s up front and got 12s. Pretty sure it was bottoming out at full articulation. Decided to order some limit straps from FOA as well, so those will help with not maxing out the shocks and with not letting the leafs arch as much under full droop.

Also got a GM alternator.

Got the leafs done, I think. I used 84-88 Toyota rears again. First leaf is the main. Second leaf is the military wrap, flipped around. Third leaf is another military wrapped leaf from another pack, with the military wrap cut off. Fourth leaf is the last leaf in the stock rears. I also welded on another clamp right near the mounting point.

I'm hoping that they aren't too stiff. The old leafs were a three pack (I added another military wrapped leaf) and they seemed to flex pretty good. I'll have to go test it out. Hope these help. Taking apart and building leaf springs aren't very fun.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Wicked build man,I'm contemplating doin the exact same thing for a DD/exploration rig

How do u like the 1.6L with the 35s n 5:29s on the street? Should u have went 22re?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks! Exactly what I built it for, expo/DD.

The 1.6 with 35s and 5.29s, and most importantly the 1:1 high range transfer cases now in there is sluggish. That is honestly the one thing I am not too pleased with. I can get through the gears pretty good but any incline going into 5th kills it.

Since I live in The People's Republic of California I wanted to keep the stock engine because of their stringent smog regulations. For now it is fine and I'll deal with it, but I might contemplate an engine swap for sometime in the future.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
SKOP.
Without sparking another Dana - Toyota axle war regarding their strength if one contemplates starting a build like this going with Danas gives you an option of 5.89s.

I drove a 1.6 8V and 5.89s for 6 years as a DD and it was fairly acceptable.

Mathematically 5.89s allow you to run a 32-33 inch tire. A jump to 35s will make it a wee bit undergeared but like I said - it's still "acceptable.

Nixon.
Why don't you consider 5.71 gears for your toy axles. They're not as weak as people think. It would be a huge improvement for ya in gearing though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I could, but I rarely see 5.71 thirds with ARBs, and I have already gone far over my budget to afford to build two new third members.

I'll definitely keep it in mind though, maybe I'll pick up a 5.71 third to throw in the rear just for around town and swap in the ARB when I go wheeling.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
New leafs in, limit strap brackets welded to frame, new 12" 2.5 resis charged and installed, all put back together. I'm still waiting on a TRE bung to make my new drag link, but will be here tomorrow afternoon. Going to weld that sucker up throw the drag link in and take her around the block to see if my brake dilemma is fixed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Definitely not! Send me a message on FB if you are serious about it and I can bring it over and you can check it out if you want. I still have the cad file for the frame plates too. Ended up actually selling it huh? I'll miss it for you too, always loved that thing!

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Or just don't try to climb Hills in 5th :confused:

It's a 1.6 they come stock with 5.12 gears and 28" tires for a reason. Just keep down shifting and keep it rev'ed. If you are on a winedy road going below 35 mph just pop the first case in low.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
SKOP asked me if I liked the gearing with the 1.6 on the street, and I answered.

I was hoping to be able to DD it to and from school, which requires me to take the freeway. Any incline on the freeway would make me downshift, and not keep a consistent speed. I knew it was probably not going to be very good. The 5.12 gears and the hi range reduction in the transfer case really allow the stock Sidekicks to be able to keep up on the freeway, so to help me gain an advantage swapping in 5.71's into the rear like MudKick suggested would be a good idea for the long stretches that I will not be wheeling it.

61 - 80 of 129 Posts