Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've lurked around here for a few years looking at all of the different builds. I finally decided to step it up on my build. Before I was running a trussed locked/d30 and 8.8 with bds 4 link in the front and bds leaf springs in the rear with 36" iroks.

Here are the Plans:
Front coilovers
79 ford kingpin 60 with 1 Reid knuckle
5:13 gears
Welded
35 spline outers
35 spline Yukon hardcore locking hubs
Artec full truss with ram mount
Trac bar mount
Psc double ended full hydro
Disc brake brackets and rotors setup to clear 15" rims (even though I will no longer be using 15s)
79 ford e350 Dana 70 rear.
Diy disc brake brackets and rotors/calipers setup to clear 15" rims
5:13 gears
Detroit locker
Yukon cut to fit chromoly shafts
Leaf spring swap
Anti wrap

Tires:
38.5 maxis creepy crawlers
16" stazwork double beadlocks

Inside:
Cage
Corbeau rs seats

Pics to follow

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought them from a friend who bought them from a friend who ran them. Hence why only one Reid. But now knowing what I know I should have sold the rear end or trashed it and got a 60. The original owner liked to mud ride and ride through a lot of water. One shaft came out like butter the other shaft was hell. After trying everything I could, we cut the center pin out of the carrier. Put a rail road iron through the other side and whaled on it. Shaft wouldn't come out. Heated up, still nothing, ended up having to cut out the carrier and then cutting through the carrier/bearing/ and shaft just to get the main part of the shaft out. Then once I got the shaft out, I could not get the spindle nut off of that side. The spindle was mushroomed perfectly. I hear this can be from running the wrong hubs but I am not sure. I had to grind the mushroom down to get the spindle nut off. Then once I got that i had to pay someone to cut off the bad part of the spindle in order to spin the new nut on. I am still looking for a thinner spindle nut to possibly double nut the spindle.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have to get the pics off the back up hard drive but here are a few before and during pics .
Before the rebuild

Every Part with the exception of rims/tires for the rebuild:

Before the tear down:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Seats and Cage:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Setting up the rear:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to re organize this thread once I can get on a computer. Too hard to do it on an iPad. But here is a teaser front end pic.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like it all but the fact that the front uppers still use a bushing mounted on the axle like the factory. It has made it a pain in the ass. And I hate that I still have to run a trac bar. Id much rather be fully triangulated but I did not want to have to build a crossmember so this was the next best option.

I will be finishing this thread very soon. Jeep is almost complete.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have done a Dana 60 or a 14 bolt. Probably the Dana 60 due to locker choices. ��
quit being a smart ass. Ha :flipoff2: Just because you know the problems I have been having with this axle.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is anyone interested in seeing the rest of this build? It is basically finished and I brought it to Choccoloco Mountain for a shake down run. If there is interest I will do the build thread.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
is anyone interested in seeing the rest of this build? It is basically finished and I brought it to Choccoloco Mountain for a shake down run. If there is interest I will do the build thread.
Post it up lots of people read the threads but never comment lots of people lurk here to see 1 ton jeeps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts