Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

I have my 60 under the heep and I am mocking up CA brackets on the axle. My question is: Do I need to keep the lowers the same distance apart as I had on my stock XJ axle? There are a few issues to work around the larger 60 housing and it would help if I could move these inward about 1.5" in each side.

Also, I am going to shoot for about 4-5* of caster unless someone suggests otherwise.

I am excited to get the axle positioned under the heep. Hopefully adam ant gets my knuckles and steering arms done soon.

SeanP

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hey Sean, glad to hear of the progress. I'm assuming that you're running JJs in the TJ arms correct? By inboarding the axle LCA mounts roughly 1.5" on either side, won't you be close to maxing the JJ out (lateral binding); or would there be plenty travel left? I know 1.5" doesn't sound like much in the scheme of things, but none-the-less, I'm curious. If it would inhibit it's travel, would it be possible to maybe angle the axle mounts outwards by a few degrees in an attempt to offset some of the bind from inboarding?

I dunno, just a thought. BTT for ya. :beer:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My crossmember mounts are inboarded a few more inches that the axle mounts, even with the axle mounts moved 1.5" inward. It's JJ at the frame and rubber at the axle for the lowers. So if anything, I will have LESS stress on the lower rubber. Yes, I was planning on angleing the axle lower mounts so they point in a straight line towards the frame/crossmember mounts.

Marni and I just made an offer on a new house. I've got to get the heep done, on the trailer and stored at a friends house so it won't be a total eyesore when we go to sell our current house. Talk about motivation.

SeanP

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well congrats on the house - hope it all goes through for ya. BTW, I won't be working on my Heep till mid spring. I fell off the top of a customer's boat at work; I fell 11' onto the concrete dock and basically shattered my right arm wirst. I'm in a full arm cast till March 31st and then I'll be in a short arm cast till the end of April. I broke my radius at the very end and split it down the middle and I also broke the scaphoid bone behind my thumb straight through.:eek: :eek:

As far as the mounts go, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Like ya said, the crossmember mounts are inboarded a few inches compared to stock, so by inboarding and turning the axle mounts out a few degrees it sounds like it would indeed eliminate some of the bind. I say go for it.:D

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, jason. I hope you're doing OK. That sucks about your arm. Make sure you get workers comp, etc. if it happened at work.

Yeah, I think things will work fine with the mounts. I am just being overly cautios before I weld anything up permanently.

SeanP

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
SeanP said:
Wow, jason. I hope you're doing OK. That sucks about your arm. Make sure you get workers comp, etc. if it happened at work.

Yeah, I think things will work fine with the mounts. I am just being overly cautios before I weld anything up permanently.

SeanP
HAH! workers comp, what's that again?:flipoff2: No really though, I work for my cousin and he doesn't have insurance, or he didn't have it when I fell. It wouldn't matter anyhow since I work for family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts