Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
CrawlTunes
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm plannin' on gettin' my link mount setup soon.

What should I tweak? I'm wonderin' if my pinion will stay pointed at the t-case through the suspensions cycle.

I'm gonna have steering rockwells front and rear and an air bag suspension. So I need my u-joint angles to work at varying heights.

This will be the "ride height" but I will set it up to got much lower for off camber situations.
We do straight up deep water mudding.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I run bags with about 12" of adjustability. Set your pinion where it needs to be, where you will be running the suspension height at the most.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
just do a traditional 4-link, that part is no different then any others. You'll also need a compressor, I reccommend a York, and an air tank, I use an 11 gallon walmart one, and switches and solonoids. This way you can adjust anytime. I have a little site with some info on it at www.4x4legend.com if you wanna see a few pics of what I have.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
make all your links equal length, and set your mounting points at the frame side as close to your tcase outputs as possible. That should give you little to none pinion angle change through out the rage of travel.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
id drop the lower link mounts at the axle a few inches, to bring it closer to the axle center line. This will increse the AS, but more importantly lessen the stress on the mounts and links, having them that high puts extra stress on the links and mounts.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
your overall four link design looks good but id definently bring the lowers down to the axle tube. and i would also seperate your uppers a little bit at the axle end. maybe 10 inches apart.

just my .02

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
If your uppers were longer than your lowers it would help to keep the pinion pointed at the t-case.

·
CrawlTunes
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the lowers like that to try and get the lower links to have less of an angle. They can't be too close to the tube since I'm gonna run 1.25x1" heims. After I made my lower axel end link mounts they did look pretty tall, and I was planning on shortening them some.

I have a mac and don't have Excell, so I need to get on another computer to do the tweakin'.

I'm doing a link helmet on the rockwells, so there's no way to get the uppers 10" apart. I've seen a bunch of rigs with rocks that have 'em mounted to the top of the chunk like I have.

All link mounts will be 3/8" and be boxed and gusseted to some degree.

I've heard for the kind of wheelin' I do to shoot for 80% anti-squat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts