Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have the design that will work for me giving maximum ground clearance, AS numbers I can live with and simplicity and strength! Here is a few shots of the design:

My Center of gravity should hit right at 29" and my Point of convergence is at 30" which gives me a 103% anti squat. Not Ideal but I think it will be okay.

Let me know what you think before this thing gets converted to 2D and sent to Superlift for them to cut out with the lazer table!

:D

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Hey there TPI. Think about seperating the lower chassis mounts, just a little. I say this because look at your roll axis. Think about when your rig is full of gear.... If you allready took this into concideration then disregard this message and fire up that lazer table.

EDIT: By the way............NICE CAD WORK !!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've followed most of the 4-link posts and have to admit most of the stuff I've read is over my head. How would moving the mounts for the frame end of the lower links outside of the frame rails affect the goemetry of the suspension? It seems like there would be more axle steer but would any other problems arise?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I agree...kick your upper links out further...say to the frame rail to improve your roll center...use the frame rail to the cross member the extra couple of inches will make it feel more stable.....

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PIG said:
Hey there TPI. Think about seperating the lower chassis mounts, just a little. I say this because look at your roll axis. Think about when your rig is full of gear.... If you allready took this into concideration then disregard this message and fire up that lazer table.

EDIT: By the way............NICE CAD WORK !!!
Pig,

How far out would you move them? I went out one inch on each one and my roll axis only came up 1" maybe. I am fully open to suggestions but I want to keep alot of trianglulation to prevent any side to side movement of the axle under articulation because of how close my coilovers will be to the frame. Will moving them out allow more movement?

Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nice CAD pics. I'm sure you have considered this, but I'll mention anyway. It looks like the rear lower links will be much longer than the uppers from a side view. If this is correct it may cause the rear pinion to point down during droop. You may want to check this in CAD if you haven't already.

Otherwise carry-on with the link building, looks good.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cruiserrg said:
It looks like the rear lower links will be much longer than the uppers from a side view. If this is correct it may cause the rear pinion to point down during droop.

ARGRRRHHH... I can't seem to win.. Wonder how much it will rotate! I will be running a HP60 and a 42 degree CV!

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
TPIJeep said:

Pig,

How far out would you move them? I went out one inch on each one and my roll axis only came up 1" maybe. I am fully open to suggestions but I want to keep alot of trianglulation to prevent any side to side movement of the axle under articulation because of how close my coilovers will be to the frame. Will moving them out allow more movement?

Thanks
Ok look..... The axle isn't goona move around with the links triangulated at the axle. There are a couple of options here. Move the lower chassis mount up a little and/or move the lower axle mounts down alittle. Play with it a little to change the slope of the roll axis. Keep in mind too that when your rig is loaded up with gear antisquat %age will decrease as well.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Pinion problems

Your pinion is going to point down a lot more than you are going to want with the lowers that much longer than your uppers...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Will your CAD program work the radius'? Will it show the three radius' as the axle cycles?
I've found that running unequal length radius arms will ALWAYS lock up the travel. The axle tube will index at different speeds at the axle ends.
I agree with the PIG and move the lower chassis mounts to the frame so it will create a true 360* triangulation. That way the upper, axle end mounts are the axis center for roll.

Joker Custom Chassis

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay still tinkering here... all my brackets are finalized but they allow me lots of freedom to to move them where I need them. What I did here was rotate the lower axle mounts down 5 degrees, moved the upper chassis mount 2" up and 3.5" forward. I also moved the lower chassis mount up 1". This seemed to point the roll axis at an upward slope right thru the center of my panhard bar up front. This kicked the Instant Center way out there and gave me a point of convergence at 29" with a COG of 29" so that would be a 100% anti squat

I am sorta wondering why now the general agreement is to move the lower mounts outboard to the frame thus going against what was suggested I do just a month ago when I started this design and getting away from the double triangulated XX design I now have and go to the old standard |\/| setup.

Okay now for the CAD question, can this file be imported into Inventor 6 and allow me to cycle the suspension? If so how?

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Daniel said:
Can I hire you for a small CAD job?
Daniel, I got your email, is that just a picture you have there or a CAD file you could send me. I have AC 2002, Inventor6 and solidworks 2003. A file would make life a lot easier looks like you just need to increase the size of the links and rotate it a bit to view better. As far as drawing it from scratch that would take a hell of a lot longer than just editing what you have there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts