Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a K5 from a guy for $200 that had been in the woods for years. Bought a set of rockwells and went from there.

Day one a kubota tractor and some muscle to load it on the trailer.

Slid it into the shop to start the tear down.

Found a set of rockwells. Rebuilt them with new seals and welded the diffs.

Built some 4 link towers over the diffs for the upper 4 link bars.
Used PVC for mock up to figure the lenght of my bars. And I am using 1 1/4" hiem joints with tube adapters. My bars are 2"x.5" Dom upper and lower!!!

I had a machine shop mill out the 4 link bars so the tube adapters fit and had them weld them in. I also took the body off the frame to make everything easier to work on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im using 6" bronco springs and made my own coil buckets. That are adjustable to change my ride heigth if needed. I will have bumpstops inside the coil spring on the bottom of the tube thats slide in the spring. I will mount it after I get my body on a flex it out.

Here it is now.

I have a hundered more pics I just posted a few to let you guys see how it looked and what you thought. let me know if you want to see anything else.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,168 Posts
wow!!!!!!!!!!

thats one big bitch....

seriously why so tall? Is this a mud truck or do you plan to run trails and rocks too?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
alabama....must be mud

·
Registered
332 Posts
looks like the height I'm shooting for, but I'll be running 49s.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I've done alot less mudding in Alabama than Kansas or Missouri. There are alot more rocks in the Appalachian mountains than in the midwest, or Florida. I'm not trying to defend Alabama, but I'm kind of tired of people referring to the entire southeast as mud infested and rock deprived. "Alabama... must be mud"... fucktard :rolleyes:

Florence isn't far from Huntsville. Do you trail ride? Or is this just a big dumb mud truck? (BDMT's can be fun :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
looks like a cool build man, cant say that I would build mine that high on 44's but this IS your build so looking good, keep us posted on progress, and dont let the pirates get to you, you have to remember you are on a hardcore rock crawling board:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Just fyi, It would have be stronger and eazier to thread the tubing. Instead of machine them out for bungs. Ive made like 3 sets with 2x.500 tubing with 1 1/4 heims. hell now i have a tape it even eazier. Threading them is a pain if you dont have the right threading bar.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
What kind of wheel base did you end up with, how much on each end? What are your link lengths, did you run you# in the 4link calc.?

It also looks like the upper spring towers are adjustable , lowering it later might not be a big deal.

I wonder how well those super-long lower links would work on a 39" tired K5?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it sits up high but I got it as low as I could. The rockwells make it so tall because of the diffs.
I will be used on rocks mud trails or whatever gets in front of me.

44 boggers...116" wheel base..... Yes my uppers are ajustable......I bought the wheels already painted and I painted the bars yellow cause I plan on painting the body dark grey and I will paint the wheels the same as the body.

My lower bars are 45" and uppers are about 32".

·
Registered
733 Posts
you should lower it about a foot or 2. The links seem short but not out of the question.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
...but I got it as low as I could. The rockwells make it so tall because of the diffs.
:confused: I see about a foot between your engine crossmember and the diff. You don't need that much uptravel. On top of that, you could move the engine and the crossmember in order to make room for the diff. Being that tall out on the rocks, and trails won't be very fun, I don't think.

Is it good to have the tri'd uppers offcenter?

·
Registered
733 Posts
baby jesus didn't say the links couldn't overlap each other. I'm just saying that usually you want your links as long as your tires are tall (in general). Mine are 47" and 46" and i'm running 42's but built the truck around 47's. Its not like it gonna cause a problem just will bring the axles closer when flexing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts