Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y’all I’m sorta new to this 4 link rear thing, I have a d44 rear axel wanting to 4 link. My question is regarding the spring location, so when 4 linking would I have to remove the spring mounts on the axel to fit my new lower link mounts that I weld onto the axel? Or would the lower link mounts fit on the axel along with the spring mounts. Yes I will be centering the axel so that the axel tube is in line with the stock spring location (wil use bigger springs after of course).

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Nobody is going to be able to answer that question for you, but it is very simple for you to answer. If the axle spring mounts are in the way of your link mounts when you mock up their location, then they need to move. If there's no interference when you cycle the suspension, i.e. - the links don't hit the spring mount it can stay.

Typically, most people are cutting off factory spring mounts and replacing them with something from Barnes, Ruff Stuff, Artec, Ballistic, etc. Some of these mounts even incorporate the link mount and spring mount into a single unit. You generally want the link mount as far outboard on the axle as you can to increase triangulation, so the link is going to be crossing under the edge of the spring mount.

When I originally linked my TJ it was done with regular coil springs and all the factory lower spring buckets (front and rear axle) were replaced with fabricated ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 link what vehicle
Nobody is going to be able to answer that question for you, but it is very simple for you to answer. If the axle spring mounts are in the way of your link mounts when you mock up their location, then they need to move. If there's no interference when you cycle the suspension, i.e. - the links don't hit the spring mount it can stay.

Typically, most people are cutting off factory spring mounts and replacing them with something from Barnes, Ruff Stuff, Artec, Ballistic, etc. Some of these mounts even incorporate the link mount and spring mount into a single unit. You generally want the link mount as far outboard on the axle as you can to increase triangulation, so the link is going to be crossing under the edge of the spring mount.

When I originally linked my TJ it was done with regular coil springs and all the factory lower spring buckets (front and rear axle) were replaced with fabricated ones.
I see what you mean, I’m looking at the 4 link rear DIY from Barnes and was just trying to get everything I need and figure some things out before I pull the axle, I know the mount must match up with the axle link separation and stuff so I didn’t know if anyone else ran into a problem where the spring mounts interfered with the lower mounts. I will definitely look into those different lowers lol mounts tho! Btw 1997 Jeep tj

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you haven't downloaded and put all your info into a 4 link calculator, you should do that. It dramatically changed the locations of where I was planning on placing my link brackets both on the frame and the axle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts