Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am taking the plunge. I have been doing a lot of research and was going to emulate Desertoy's setup. The problem is with the offset t-case in the Samurai, the lower links cannot be triangulated that much without dropping the lower crossmember way down (I am afraid of driveshaft contact since it would have to cross the lower links). Here's my alternative (excuse the pudgy pumkin):

I think I can squeeze a lower link in between the cv joint and frame. DSI and Rude, how are you liking your setups? Comments?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Chris is the drive shaft angle that bad.

What happend to the three link
are you going for hiem or johny joints

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
seems the only thing to be really concerned about would be the links contacting the frame on compression. I also recall desertoy's setup having a bit less of a difference in heights between the links vertically on the frame end. When i built my link setup i built a really crude mock up. pretty easy to do with some 1" pipe and some really cheap small hiems joints from a surplus store.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Azrckcrawler said:

I think I can squeeze a lower link in between the cv joint and frame. DSI and Rude, how are you liking your setups? Comments?
I Don't think you'll have a prob Chris, what are you going to run on the ends of the links? Rod end/JJ/normal bushing?

The upper link should not move very much side to side thru the cycle. I would have gone Desertoy's route, but I'm not F'ing with my muffler(trying to keep it street legal) I'd go for it, his system works bling......or he is a good driver:)

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Hey chris have u look a robs set up it's like curries fireant

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pook said:
seems the only thing to be really concerned about would be the links contacting the frame on compression. I also recall desertoy's setup having a bit less of a difference in heights between the links vertically on the frame end. When i built my link setup i built a really crude mock up. pretty easy to do with some 1" pipe and some really cheap small hiems joints from a surplus store.
I was trying to keep the links parallel and with the lower link close to the top of my axle tube I need a large spread between the upper and lower mounts. The distance between the links may be a bit exagerated, I suspect the upper link will be more level than what I sketched.

Nozuk: The driveshaft doesn't look that bad, you'll notice my CV in the sketch is solid, the real one has two joints which make the angle look much better. I didn't like Rob's setup, his links are too low which caused him to get hung up on a lot of stuff, taller tires would help but I can't see giving up 1.5" or more of axle clearance to do a setup like that with the link running under the axle tube. I'll be using heims, I talked with Tom @ Spidertrax and feel if I get the suspension geometry right they should hold up great.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
i c what ur saying but when he gets 37's that'll help alot

if you remember that he was getting hug up oh his diff not his links

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nozuk said:
i c what ur saying but when he gets 37's that'll help alot

if you remember that he was getting hug up oh his diff not his links

He got hung up plenty on his links. Think about it, you need a 3" taller tire to have the same ground clearance as a rig with links above the bottom of the axle. Skip the 37's and go straight to 40's :D

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
that would require 18 in coilovers and scott can't get those mtr's yet key word there yet
:D

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
here you go chris, this is working very very well for me!! Its nice just having to carry one spare for the whole suspension too!!

links are made from 1.75" .250 DOM tubing

The uppers are 22" apart and 6.5" above center line at the axle and will sit at 0*

Lowers are 37" apart at the axle 1.5" below center line, and 10" apart at the crossmember and will sit 5* up

At the crossmember the mounting points for the Uppers are 4" higher than the lowers.

And all of the links are 38.5" long

No rear steer, No lifting. front and rear are the same. all 8 links exact same lenght. Heims on crossmember and Poly bushings on the axle.

And now that my suspension has settled a little...my upper links sit almost flat!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
no offence from the side it looks like a summit rear suspision

i know it's not tho:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hay Azrckcrawler

Just a thought with your link set up (not that what i have to say meens any thing but i did help DSI's set up his links) but in the past 5-6 months rudzuk and DSI have both used the same set up and if you ever seen it work you would want them.Its the only links that i have seen that did not have any funny kind kinks in it like loading rear steer from what I have seen of it around the PNW it works very well any how that's my 2

:massey:

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
RudeZuk said:
here you go chris, this is working very very well for me!! Its nice just having to carry one spare for the whole suspension too!!
Thanks Rude. I read thru your buildup a few times. You said you did a little more tiangulation at some point, did you just move the lowers in or did you triangulate the uppers a little too? Are you happy with the bushings? No shredding or excessive wear on them?

Moto, DSI's initial thread appears to be lost so there isn't a whole lotta info on his setup, other than it kicks and he likes it. If anyone has some pics post em up. Maybe if we get enough good info on what works under a Sammi we can get it in the FAQ,

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Azrckcrawler said:

Thanks Rude. I read thru your buildup a few times. You said you did a little more tiangulation at some point, did you just move the lowers in or did you triangulate the uppers a little too? Are you happy with the bushings? No shredding or excessive wear on them?

Moto, DSI's initial thread appears to be lost so there isn't a whole lotta info on his setup, other than it kicks and he likes it. If anyone has some pics post em up. Maybe if we get enough good info on what works under a Sammi we can get it in the FAQ,
Chris, After 2 comps now.......This suspension rocks!! Bushings are holding up well, and I wouldnt change a thing about the suspension.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
moto261 said:
Hay Azrckcrawler

Just a thought with your link set up (not that what i have to say meens any thing but i did help DSI's set up his links) but in the past 5-6 months rudzuk and DSI have both used the same set up and if you ever seen it work you would want them.Its the only links that i have seen that did not have any funny kind kinks in it like loading rear steer from what I have seen of it around the PNW it works very well any how that's my 2

:massey:
Dan, take a look at my pic.....Because of the offset tcase i was not able to do dave's suspension.
an action shot..

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
This would be more like Desertoy's setup. Would this work for you Rude? since the pic is 2D I really don't know, but it would seem to work. (I'm not saying to change) So if it would work for your set up, it *may work* for Chris. Only diff would be the axle/Diff, and the axle truss.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Azrckcrawler said:

I'll be using heims, I talked with Tom @ Spidertrax and feel if I get the suspension geometry right they should hold up great.
I'd talk to more people than just them *devils advocate* they sell heims. I'd be worried about shock loading with full heims. The main reason I went with JJ's. I feel better with a little cush'n. MOP of coarse:D

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bill4rest said:

I'd talk to more people than just them *devils advocate* they sell heims. I'd be worried about shock loading with full heims. The main reason I went with JJ's. I feel better with a little cush'n. MOP of coarse:D
True, but with all 4 links triangulated you are spreading the forces out better. From talking with people, most heim failures seemed to occur on setups were the heim was seeing a side load, A JJ won't hold up much better in that instance. If my uppers were converging to one link I'd be using something different. Erik is down here helping me, after some thought and analyzation we are going to forge ahead with my original plan. I don't want any crossmembers lower than the t-case bucket

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Azrckcrawler said:

True, but with all 4 links triangulated you are spreading the forces out better. From talking with people, most heim failures seemed to occur on setups were the heim was seeing a side load, A JJ won't hold up much better in that instance. If my uppers were converging to one link I'd be using something different. Erik is down here helping me, after some thought and analyzation we are going to forge ahead with my original plan. I don't want any crossmembers lower than the t-case bucket
Two each his own I guess, I think a JJ would fair better in a side load vs a regular heim, if the 'e' clip was tacked in of coarse. Also, I totally agree with the lower cross member part.....

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Bill4rest said:

Two each his own I guess, I think a JJ would fair better in a side load vs a regular heim, if the 'e' clip was tacked in of coarse. Also, I totally agree with the lower cross member part.....
I like the idea of Desert toys rig, but with the huge offset diff.....It is tough to do.

There are many suspension setups that work very well, I like mine and if you change things up chris......

I highly recommend that you keep links all the same size! You will thank me later!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts