Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is kinda sorta a repost. I am running the atlas support ring on my 4 speed, and have had adapter problems, see here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727679 So I am knocking around the idea of removing the ASR, cause I think it may be binding and breaking my adapter. The length and weight of the 4 speed concerns me, though. Anyone running a 4sp unsupported in the rear? What were the results. I have a guy that can make a steel adapter (Sumner Machine Works). I think that would hold the weight. I even thought about having him put extra holes in the adapter, and use more of the un-used bolt holes in the front of the atlas. But the weight is still all out there hanging off of the reduction housing Whatcha think?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
There were lots of good ideas and opinions in your last post. What the hell is the point of this?

no shit.... :shaking:

narrow up the bushings on your support ring and see if it still happens, they probably arent allowing enough rotation. engine rotates more than the t-case mounts allow and that transfers all of the engine torque through the drivetrain and then something breaks.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasnt asking for more ideas, I wanted to know who was running the 4 speeds with no support....
geo...I dont think it has anything to do with rotation...it has to do with 3 mounts being in a plane, if any one mount moves up or down it binds something. With 2 mounts that not gonna happen. This was all addressed in the other thread. All I want to know in this thread is who has 4 speeds with no support. THATS IT!

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I wasnt asking for more ideas, I wanted to know who was running the 4 speeds with no support....
geo...I dont think it has anything to do with rotation...it has to do with 3 mounts being in a plane, if any one mount moves up or down it binds something. With 2 mounts that not gonna happen. This was all addressed in the other thread. All I want to know in this thread is who has 4 speeds with no support. THATS IT!
WTF man, I am running a 4 speed with no support off the back and posted up details on how I am doing it and how it's working. What do you want us to do, come over to your shop and have someone hold your hand while the rest of us fix your rig and test it out? Damn

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove the support ring and run it. There are several doing it w/ 231/300's.
Well my concern is the 4 speed is alot longer, and heavier. If it was even a 2 speed, I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Well my concern is the 4 speed is alot longer, and heavier. If it was even a 2 speed, I wouldnt worry about it.
:confused:

There's not a whole lot of difference between a 4 speed atlas and a 231/300 combo...

Take off the damn ring if it is causing problems, why is this so hard? :laughing:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
WTF man, I am running a 4 speed with no support off the back and posted up details on how I am doing it and how it's working. What do you want us to do, come over to your shop and have someone hold your hand while the rest of us fix your rig and test it out? Damn
Ya, and your shit hangs down a fucking mile too. My atlas is flush with the belly, so I dont have room for all that shit. I get off at 5:00, and I will be home about 6:00 to unluck the shop for you.
Plus, its been my experience that thos POS poly mounts you are running dont do shit to keep the drivetrain from torquing. However I am very happy that it is working out for you. Now what time can I expect you to be over. What kind of beer do 'necks like?

Oh, show me how to get the rear mount b/w the reduction housing and the main atlas case? Your klune is a bit diferent.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:confused:

There's not a whole lot of difference between a 4 speed atlas and a 231/300 combo...

Take off the damn ring if it is causing problems, why is this so hard? :laughing:

Oh, I thought you were talking 300 OR 231, not doubler. Its not that hard, I just dont want to break my adapter again, or worse my tail housing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Ya, and your shit hangs down a fucking mile too. My atlas is flush with the belly, so I dont have room for all that shit. I get off at 5:00, and I will be home about 6:00 to unluck the shop for you.
Plus, its been my experience that thos POS poly mounts you are running dont do shit to keep the drivetrain from torquing. However I am very happy that it is working out for you. Now what time can I expect you to be over. What kind of beer do 'necks like?

Oh, show me how to get the rear mount b/w the reduction housing and the main atlas case? Your klune is a bit diferent.
Reading comprehension owns you

I cut the mount and lowered it, that pic was for mockup.

Oh and this neck likes coors light :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Reading comprehension owns you

Oh and this neck likes coors light :flipoff2:

I did catch that, but probably not enough to work for me. My pan is just barely above the rails. Plus there is still no way to support the atlas in between the reduction housing and the main case, w/o splitting the two. I dont really want to tear apart and modify a $3k case. Im gonna try it w/o the support. All this post was for was to see what kind of luck people are having with them unsupported that is all, nothing more.

Coors light eh?? I hope that doesnt make me a neck too. Thats whats in the fridge waiting on you to get to work.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Can you make a plate that bolts to the bottom of the case through some of those little allen bolts and entends back towards the engine and gives you another "foot" to build a small mount? Post some pics of your setup.

As for the Coors Light you're only a neck if you drink the 16oz tallboys...cans. My personal fav :)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Can you make a plate that bolts to the bottom of the case through some of those little allen bolts and entends back towards the engine and gives you another "foot" to build a small mount? Post some pics of your setup.

As for the Coors Light you're only a neck if you drink the 16oz tallboys...cans. My personal fav :)
I thought about that, but there just isnt much space, w/o it getting below the frame rails. I also thought about making a new pan from steel to build the mount from too. I will get some pics up. I need to renew my star. I havent used my paypal in so long I forgot my password, and just havent taken the time to do it. I layed under this thing for an hour the other night trying to come up with some alternatives. I couldnt come up with any that didnt require alot of rebuilding. Pics will speak for them selves.

Tall boys....right awn!!:beer:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Does the factory cast iron adapter have a provision for a torque arm. I know the one off my 435 does. You could build an additional mount of that. I wouldn't worry about the ass end of the 4 speed hanging but I would want at least two mounts holding the entire assembly up.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No torque arm mounting point on the adapter. John Sumner is going to build a steel adapter for me, so I know I wont have any adapter issues from here out. But, I dont want the problem moving to the tail housing or the ATLAS. Im feeling pretty good about running it unsuported. I figure if it was a problem A/A would have put provisions for extra mounting. However, it would have been real easy for them to put something b/w the reduction housing and the case, like how your klune setup is. That would make me feel much better about it. Thats about how my 203/atlas setup was on my last rig.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bringing this back up. I've not had any issues in 8 years after I did some mods to beef up the crossmembers the transmission mount and atlas support ring are on. Still running a factory cast iron adapter. UNTIL RECENTLY! I dropped off a ledge and bellied out hard. One of the crossmembers bent (pretty sure it was the front) enough to break the adapter again. I did get a beefy steel adapter built by sumner machine works. So I have a lot more flexibility in building mounts off of the adapter since its steel. My plan is to mount the transmission mount from above, so if the crossmember does deflect, the transmission is isolated. Pretty much got that figured out.

Here's where I'm looking for opinions: I'm kinda stewing on whether or not I want to run the atlas support ring or not. It will hang it from above as well, so deflection of the crossmember / skid plate won't be an issue. This is what I'm leaning towards. However, I'm confident my adapter is beefy enough to hold the weight of the atlas 4 speed without the atlas support ring. My concern now is if it's best for the atlas 4 speed for all of the length and weight to be hanging off of that front mount or not? So.....again.....who's running a 4speed atlas with no tailhousing support? Any issues? Like I said I'll probably run the tailhousing support but I'm just looking at options / suggestions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts