Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of flaming- does anyone still make a NP231 4 to 1 kit?

I've searched and come up empty. Google gives me nothing current either, and most places show no longer in stock.

I don't want to swap cases, but would rather drop the 4 to 1 kit in versus a gear change.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was figuring. But, I have been known to be a dumbass in the past, and likely will be in the future as well- so I thought I'd double check.

Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
In the middle of swapping a stretched chain (so i can get back to the Con) would have been nice to swap gear sets too at the same time. Go back in with a new functioning 4wd and a lower gear set.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering why Tera-Low is gone.... Never heard if they went under, had a shitty batch of parts, whatever???

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
We had some guys in our group running them here, they were not very durable though.
all those guys went back to stock gears sets.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The tera kit had oiling issues too.
Why not a TJ rubicon case swap? NP241OR its 4.1 and will bolt in with changing yokes

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
The only drawback is possibly spline count, 4cyl 21spl guys maybe sol. And lack of speedo output, neither are big deals but requier additional parts to compat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the 4.0L and AW4, so should be ok. Truly, my biggest factor in keeping the 231 is that my F/R drivelines match and I only need one spare.

My current plan is to drop 4.56's in this winter, but if I could sneak in the 4:1 kit before then- even better.

I remember then being a big deal when they first came out, but I ran all big block Ford stuff then- so never really cared.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Who the hell sinks $2k into a 231 to still have a 231?

It wasnt a bad piece, it was a mod for a shitty case.
I think I paid like $750 for mine from PORC... but we all know how that went...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've got the 4.0L and AW4, so should be ok. Truly, my biggest factor in keeping the 231 is that my F/R drivelines match and I only need one spare.

My current plan is to drop 4.56's in this winter, but if I could sneak in the 4:1 kit before then- even better.
you'll be fine with the aw4 and 4.56's. I never felt the need to blow my wad on a fancy case for a jeep xj and never had an issue following around any reduced rigs. if you still feel the need for reduction after your regear then look into the Rubi case

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
I sold a terra low for a 231 a year ago, it was 21 spline and its only the front half of the case where the planetary is so it has nothing to do with speedo output .

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
This thread sucks.

Is this forum so dead that were keeping a thread alive for a product that doesn't even exist?

:shaking:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I suck. My teralow just shit the bed. Noisy noisy driving home after a hunting trip with my son, didn't even engage 4wd, let alone low Range. Gotta pull it Monday when I'm off and see what the damage is. I've never torn into a t-case but it seems easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
Well I suck. My teralow just shit the bed. Noisy noisy driving home after a hunting trip with my son, didn't even engage 4wd, let alone low Range. Gotta pull it Monday when I'm off and see what the damage is. I've never torn into a t-case but it seems easy enough.

Guess what? It's fucked. Like every other Teralow that actually got used. :laughing:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I figured. Hell I didn't know they were gone till I saw that here. Now I need to get smart about a doubler or 241dhd setup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts