Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 2500 HD w/6.0 I have 92,000 miles on the truck and i'm getting a code for the 02 sensor. I'm going to replace all 4 since they tend to go around 100,000 miles but the damn things run $114 a piece for the front ones and $70 a piece for the rear ones. Anybody have a better place to buy them rather than NAPA? :mad3:

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I have a 2001 2500 HD w/6.0 I have 92,000 miles on the truck and i'm getting a code for the 02 sensor. I'm going to replace all 4 since they tend to go around 100,000 miles but the damn things run $114 a piece for the front ones and $70 a piece for the rear ones. Anybody have a better place to buy them rather than NAPA? :mad3:
What number code are you getting? The rear ones just tell you if the cats are bad, don't replace them unless the code is for the rear O2's!!!! YOU WILL WASTE YOU MONEY!

I replace the front two every 100,000 miles because they are the ones which give the PCM the correct A/F ratios. Get the Bosch O2's, from auto zone or advance auto parts. By them online and pick them up at the store it will be cheaper that way. They will be over $100 buck but are worth it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
something to think about...Just because you have an o2 code does not mean the o2 is bad. What is the code? Lean, rich, lack of switching, or heater are all codes you could have. Also the code should differentiate between bank one and bank two. I wouldn't start throwing o2's at it just yet. If you can get the code number, or better yet the exact definition of the code you have would be very helpful.

·
Registered
802 Posts
This may sound crazy but every once in a while the dealer is cheaper on 02's. Worth checking. You need to find out what code is present and properly diagnose the problem before throwing money at it. There are many reasons an 02 code could be present. I've seen alot of intake vacuum leaks on the 5.3's and 6.0's causing lean codes. The proper way to test an o2 is with a lab scope or even an analog volt meter will work.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think they are 60 something for the fronts from oreillys if you have one.
EDIT: Mine dealer told me around 112 a piece for the fronts, i might look on ebay for mine, but was a little leary.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Yeah, i agree, dont replace them. Just because you get a code saying they're lean or rich or whatever doesnt mean they're bad, actually...90% of the time the problem is somewhere else. You'd need to get some data on what sort of readings they're supposed to give out and check them with a meter before you could tell if they're bad or not though.

What code are you getting exactly though? If it says all of them are reading wrong, it's kind of doubtful they all just went bad at the same time, there's probably a problem with the engine...i mean...did you ever think maybe it IS running rich/lean. You need to get more info before you go any further....

Also...with sensors, maybe it's just me but i always just stick to the oem for them. I hear too many horror stories about aftermarket sensors being junk quality and causing all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P0157 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

Also one of the back sensors is cracked and the left front sensors wires are half melted when they got to close to the exhaust and i had to zip tie them up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Also one of the back sensors is cracked and the left front sensors wires are half melted when they got to close to the exhaust and i had to zip tie them up.
that code means that the o2 sensor after the cat on bank 2 read below 80 milivolts for too long of a time period. I would replace the sensor after the cat that is cracked. That is most likely your cause. If that doesn't take care of it, the bank 2 cat is bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

·
Registered
5,188 Posts

At least replace the melted front O2, and like I said replace the other front one as well since you have 100,000 miles. You will gain a little mileage, as like anything they ware out.

I would swap the back two sensors with each other first, before just buying a new one, and clear the codes and see if the code follows the sensor. If it does its more than likely the original right hand Bank 2 sensor is bad. And just replace that one. Replacing the other back one is a waste of money.

If it's not the sensor, then its the cat, as stated before if so I still wouldn't replace the back two unless they are know bad since they don't control. Any Air/fuel managment.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've been wondering about mine also. I have about 126k, so it looks like I might be replacing them soon. Time to save up some doe. At least you guys are saying do the fronts only.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think that the emissions system is warrantied for 6 yr 100K. If the cat is bad the dealer should take care of it. I had one that got dented and the internal honeycomb structure collapsed. The dealer did not cover this since the damage was my fault.

I got a replacement y pipe with new high flow cats for less than 250 from hot exhaust. It was cheaper than buying cats and having a muffler shop weld them in.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I think that the emissions system is warrantied for 6 yr 100K. If the cat is bad the dealer should take care of it. I had one that got dented and the internal honeycomb structure collapsed. The dealer did not cover this since the damage was my fault.

I got a replacement y pipe with new high flow cats for less than 250 from hot exhaust. It was cheaper than buying cats and having a muffler shop weld them in.
Just cut the fuckers off and delete the rear O2s in the PCM and be done!:flipoff2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts