Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend that has a '93 2 door that he said I could have for 400 bucks. There is only one dent in the thing and it is a 4.0 auto w/ 169K. The catch is, is that he was wheeling a while back and got a little to deep in the water and some got sucked into the engine and it seized. So it has probably sat for 3 months. I'm guessing that the engine is going to need to get pulled and rebuilt?

Any opinions?

Said Cherokee

·
Registered
91 Posts
its your time and money. You feel like swapping an engine? You can pick em up cheap so its mostly time. If it was otherwise okay - I'd do it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
do it bro the wheels/tires are worth that. If all you do is part it you could make money
200 tcase
150 tranny
100-200 axles
150 interior if its good
misc glass who knows

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Free or bust. Just got a 95 4.0/5 spd 231 with a few dents missing LCA's and track bar. Interior is pretty much trashed but that will get stripped for full awn buggy action soon enough.

Think $400 + another $700 for a used motor??? Is it worth that much and worth your time?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, unfortunately, the lift and tires were taken off and put onto a new 97 four door. I'd like to be able to have this thing up and running for 400 or less since most of my money is devoted to my car.

If nothing is warped/cracked on the engine, what am I looking at price wise to do tear down and replace some gaskets, pistons if needed and what ever little things that need to be replaced? I've never been into anything other than Ford V8's so I've really got no idea what I'm looking at price wise for the 4.0's

If I could have this thing fixed up and driving reliably (100K till next rebuild) for under 1000 bucks I would be a happy camper.

·
Registered
590 Posts
just go find a 4.0 around pirate- they are pretty cheap around here

·
Registered
111 Posts
4.0l's are 700 on used motor sites, check reliable junkyards or little local ones seem to work too. I say reliable because I ran into one where they said they had all these parts for me and guess what.....they didn't. If you want to send me that seized motor i'll take it:D Smells like a good winter stroker project.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Go to a pick and pull, that has to be one of the best things about cherokees is that there is at least a dozen at the local pull and save. $125 for a complete long block, just find one that has been hit. What are your plans on how your going to wheel it? Are you going to be nice to it or are you going to wheel the piss out of it. If your going to take good care of it then I would suggest that you buy it. If you just want something to beat the piss out of I think that it wouldn't be hard to find another cherokee that isn't in quite as niceof shape for not much more. Good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I had a pick and pull nearby, but the only junkyard within a few minutes is a pot shoot on wheather they have what you want. If I did replace the motor I would need to make a trip over to Seattle to a pull a part. That is why I was asking about the price of rebuilding the existing engine.

If I do get it, it won't be to abused. Just trails (no crawling or bogging). It would need to reliably get me through four years of college.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, unfortunately, the lift and tires were taken off and put onto a new 97 four door. I'd like to be able to have this thing up and running for 400 or less since most of my money is devoted to my car.

If nothing is warped/cracked on the engine, what am I looking at price wise to do tear down and replace some gaskets, pistons if needed and what ever little things that need to be replaced? I've never been into anything other than Ford V8's so I've really got no idea what I'm looking at price wise for the 4.0's

If I could have this thing fixed up and driving reliably (100K till next rebuild) for under 1000 bucks I would be a happy camper.
If he hydro locked the motor then chances are you have a few bent connecting rods. Water doesn't compress. I would check them for straightness before doing anything else to that motor. make sure to label them as they come out with a punch so you know which goes to which cylinder

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have you verified that its seized up? I've seen a kid hydro his 4.0. We pulled spark plugs, cranked the water out, and then reinatalled the plugs. Had to drag the jeep for about a hundred yards in gear to start it, but no problems after that.
Right away at least.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You say you are dumping all your money into your car so why won't it be your DD for the next 4 yrs? Is it a drag car or something?

IMHO if you want this to be a super reliable rig for 4 yrs then I would just ditch the idea of trail riding it at all. Even if you aren't hardcore it will hurt ya in the long run.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
its called craigslist.. everything is cheap there..
i ran my 83 ranger into a huge water hole last year.. it didnt look deep at the time but ended up being over my hood.. it ran like shit when i got it out.. let it sit for about 10 mins thinking i blew it up but it started right up after sitting for the 10 mins. ran just fine until i parked it to build it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You say you are dumping all your money into your car so why won't it be your DD for the next 4 yrs? Is it a drag car or something?

IMHO if you want this to be a super reliable rig for 4 yrs then I would just ditch the idea of trail riding it at all. Even if you aren't hardcore it will hurt ya in the long run.
No, the car isn't a drag car. But the weather only lets me drive it from about mid April to early November (six month out of the year). It's my first car and means to much to me to drive in the winter (I dont want to deal with rust a second time), and risk wrecking. It's basically to nice of a car to drive in the snow. But come April, It will be my main means of transportation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you verified that its seized up? I've seen a kid hydro his 4.0. We pulled spark plugs, cranked the water out, and then reinatalled the plugs. Had to drag the jeep for about a hundred yards in gear to start it, but no problems after that.
Right away at least.
I don't know if it is truly seized or not. All that I know is that the water got deeper than he anticipated and had to get towed home. All that the current owner did was pull the oil pan to see if anything was broken on the bottom end.
If thats all it is, that would be sweet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If it sat with moisture in it for any period of time it will need rebuilt. I got my motor for $200 from the throttle body to the oil pan, from the belt to the torque converter and it only had 100k in miles. It even came with the wiring harness, ECM and anything else that attached to the motor. I would be all over that theing. It looks pretty good from the pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts