Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you running a 401 with an electric fan? If so are you run a push or pull setup and what CFM rating? I'm out of space to run a standard fan so any input helps.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
what problems are you having? what carb, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold are you running? have you checked your timing?

personally, i would not run a electric if you are having overheating problems.

i'd go with a standard fan and thermal clutch with a 180º thermostat (195º with FI).

·
Registered
475 Posts
Search for 'ford taurus fan' There are a few posts about them. The price is right ~$25 from a yard and they move ~4000cfm. Make sure you have enough radiator and shrouds are very important too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't think there is an electric fan on the market that would fit in the space provided in a jeep that could even come close to cooling your motor. I use a stock 7 blade with a clutch on a 3 row stock radiator and haven't had a problem yet. I think the stock pulls somewhere around 6500 cfm and i have a pusher fan that is good for another 1600 if i need it. I also run a 195 since i have fuel injection. Also why don't you have room what is this motor in?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I was going to take off my stock fan and put in a pusher and puller, I don't like the idea of my fan being that close, I go through too much water and don't want to bend a fan into my radiator. The electric fans should have NO problems colling a 401, I know plenty of folks that do it with their 360's. I will let you know how mine performs with the electric fans.

Chris (electric fan) Cloud

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
What are you putting the 401 in ? your 59 willys.

anyway I run a 4 core with the stock fan w/clutch and have no problem it runs around 190 on the road and 180 and lower on the trail.
If space the issue you could run a fan without the clutch,but do not forget to put a shroud on it you must direct the air through the radiator

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the replies thus far. Yes the 401 is going into the Willys Wagon engine bay, I've actually shortened the wagoneer frame and am putting the willys on top. The 401 is slighly longer than the old Huricane 6 with all accessories on. In order to get as much room possible I can move the engine 4" back, but was thinking if an electric would work that I could leave the engine where it is and not have to mess with new cross members and mounts.

This engine ran fine in the wagoneer and didn't have overheating problems, but the willys bay is smaller and I'm exploring options.

·
Registered
531 Posts
there is a big difference between a 360 and a 401 i guess about 41 cubic inches, :flipoff2: the cylinder walls are much thinner and there is a lot more power hence more heat. but that is just my .02

·
Registered
809 Posts
My old roommate had this same problem. He solved it with a Be Cool radiator, a shroud, and an electric fan in front of the radiator in a CJ-7. He had to grind into the back of the grille to clear the electric motor a bit but it worked and was a very clean install.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Aluminum radiator.

they solve cooling issues like nothing else.

I suggest you call Howe Racing Radiator and see what they can do for ya. They use the same cores as Be-cool at less cost and are a top notch product. Mine was a total custom job and fit perfect. Same size as the previous unit and using the same fans a saw a HUGE temp drop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts