Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a statement for my 401K. It earned over 20% last year. My 401K plan has sucked ever since I got it. During the Obozo years it lost money. (Even though the market was up) During the early Trump years, it barely made bank interest while the market set records. Now this. Guess I'll keep it a bit longer. I'm assuming everyone else is making 40%.

What's the high guys making?

·
Registered
143 Posts
How old are you?

Market was up 30'ish % in 2019, but a properly diversified portfolio shouldn't earn the same as an index.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I made 28% last year which is pretty much garbage. My 401k isn't that great in terms of which funds I have available to purchase. I manage my wife's 401k as well and her's made 31% which is pretty decent. The funds she has available to purchase are far superior. My 401k does bring in a higher return through dividends though which I don't believe are counted in the rate of return.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Do you have any "Target Date" investment options? Something like an ETF that pays dividends would also be sweet.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
For me is was 21.6%.....

Took out a big chunk to buy some property last year. I've made back about 80% of that withdrawal since then.... :smokin:

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Mine is spread out across a few different types of investments, but my 2019 gains % was 24.7%

Damn Trump fucking everything up :smoking:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Market crashed/corrected at the end of 2018 so if you look at YTD returns you're not getting the whole picture.
That is why the first two people referenced the market which was up 29.5% or so in 2019. Your yearly returns need to be compared to that to see how well you actually did.

·
Registered
716 Posts
15.1%. I moved some shit around last year and it screwed me up.

Having sort of a magic window into the future (I do Civil Design) I saw the bubble crash coming and claimed hardship as soon as our work started drying up. Cashed out at over 40% for the year at the time. That was 2007.

The way I saw it, with half of it matched, forfeit 35% to feds and it was a no brainer. But the only way I'd recommend anyone else claiming a hardship would be to pay something off. Like a house.:smokin:. The money I saved by not having a mortgage payment made up for the tax loss.

But now I've just got to work until I can draw SS.:rolleyes: Yet, I'd do it all again in a skinny minute...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How old are you?

Market was up 30'ish % in 2019, but a properly diversified portfolio shouldn't earn the same as an index.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
As I understand it, I can withdraw at 59 1/2. (With no penalty) So I was thinking of withdrawing soon to buy real estate, gold or put in safe. It doesn't make much in the safe, so I might let it sit. Don't suppose the market will crash untill the Dems get in. (2024?)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If your jumpy pick a target date fund and quit looking at you balances.

If You want all the glory of bitchen returns you better be able to stomach a down turn too or see the future.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,219 Posts
Market crashed/corrected at the end of 2018 so if you look at YTD returns you're not getting the whole picture.
this. factor in the 10+% drop late 2018 and you're not looking nearly as good

was happy until Dad pointed this out to me when we were talking finances. Not a bad year, but the 1yr return #'s are deceiving

1 - 20 of 76 Posts