Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know the strength of the Unimog 404 axle. I am planning the buildup of a rock buggy and want to run 48-53 inch michelin XL tires. Will these axles hold up? Where is a good place to purchase these axles?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Ralph Mills said:
I need to know the strength of the Unimog 404 axle. I am planning the buildup of a rock buggy and want to run 48-53 inch michelin XL tires. Will these axles hold up? Where is a good place to purchase these axles?
Will they hold up......
BWHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH Do dogz bark, chickens shiat, and cats blow fur balls?

Where to get them?
Numerous places including Exact. Heck their are some on Ebay.

U bee livn under a rock instead of on them :flipoff2: :D

keep us posted on your progress. :D :cool:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
OK fawkers - how strong are these axles.

I got my rig finished last week and have been giving them a fair old thrashing.

I have been driving it as if they were totally unbreakable. Using as much throttle as I can. Should I be doing this.

Will I break these axles???

Im guessing (hoping) that it weighs under 4700lb (it weighed 4000lb with the d44s and the alloy rover v8 motor and alloy rover transfer case)

The specs are in my sig. And heres a pic in case none of you guys get over to the rover section.

Overall crawl is 100:1

Sam

PS I am using 1310 U joints in the drive shafts - will these be the weakest link?? Or will I eventually break the mogs. HC

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, I've been in a tug of war with another Heavy Chevy. I had Mog's, he had a D60/D70 combo. Both had big blocks. I was heavier and had wheel hop, he had more power. But I won by a foot! He broke his rear D70. Two full turns on the axle shaft before it popped off. My Mogs just shrugged it off (pretzelled my torque arms but that's another issue). That a good enough comparo for you?

--Rob
www.exaxt.ca

·
Registered
730 Posts
That was a sweet video to watch also, really gives an idea to the abuse these axles will take.

Anyone still have that tug-o-war vid still, I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yea Ive seen the vid also - absolutely classic.

Sam

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Strange Rover

Since you got Mog axles why dont u poney up some pics for the two pic areas in this forum. Looks like u would have some great hardcore ones.

Thanks
George

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Will post some pics for sure. Just got to pull my finger out.

About the strength of these 404s now I can easily see that they are stronger then the stock dana stuff but has anybody got any ideas on how they compare with the alloy built stuff.

Do many people break this sort of stuff in the comps (although I guess theye arnt many 404 rigs in the competitions)

Has anybody here broken them or seen first hand any breakage.

Sam

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have literally tried to break my 404 axles. But I cant. I sat on nemisis 3 for about 10 minutes humping the wall with the truck. I reved the mog 6 cyl as high as I dared, and dropped the clutch. Nothing. It just humps and humps and humps. Maybe some day i will stress the portal boxes, and break one, but I really dont think it will happen. the 404 axle assy. are tough as shiat. I never worry about my axles at all on my 5400lbs Mog, and I run trails alot of people would never think about.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i have heard about this video . Lets see it or a link too it or something even some still shots.
ryeguy said:
Well, I've been in a tug of war with another Heavy Chevy. I had Mog's, he had a D60/D70 combo. Both had big blocks. I was heavier and had wheel hop, he had more power. But I won by a foot! He broke his rear D70. Two full turns on the axle shaft before it popped off. My Mogs just shrugged it off (pretzelled my torque arms but that's another issue). That a good enough comparo for you?

--Rob
www.exaxt.ca

·
Registered
319 Posts
Puffdragon said:
I never worry about my axles at all on my 5400lbs Mog, and I run trails alot of people would never think about.
5400lbs? That's light! The Hulk tipped the scales at about 7500 for TTC last year. And ready for camping, plan on an even 8000lbs.

--Rob

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Dang thats a heavy truck! So would you say that 1000 of those pounds come from B.C. rules and regs that you carry around??

And 500lbs worth of beer? Invite me camping!!!

Hey ryeguy I went up to Whistler a weekend ago and I finally saw those dome shaped curbs that you have your truck parked over in that pic on your website. We turned around and checked them out.... Pretty amazing stuff that those tires and Portals can drive over!!!

Later.

Ken S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These axles are very strong but like anything they can break.I have broken three axle joints in the rear steer of my rig.beleive me they deserved to brake (full turn all power to one wheel trying to save roll overs) I also broke a portal unit.It was also on the rear full throttle getting it.I think it was from 1.5 years of comp and lots of playing (accumulated stress)I am not nice to this rig.all in all I feel these axles are hard to beat.I know I would have broken many more parts in a 60 rear steer set-up.I have had no problems with the front at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts