Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Could anyone tell me what master cylinder diameter I will need to run with the stock 404 drum brakes??

My plan is to machine about 2mm of the outside of the stock drum and run my 15in steel wheels with about a 3.5in backspacing. Anyone ever heard of this being done??

Cheers,

Sam

404axzlSpch

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
404 Brakes, Hwy Speeds and heat

grinding the drum is not unusual.

Some argue that the problem with the drum brakes is not that they wont have enough stopping power (they do) it is that the drum collects heat. If ur going to do any Highway speeds at some point u should change too disk brakes.

Are you changing ur 15" wheel's bolt center to match mog bolt pattern?

404axzlSpch

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Brake Master Cylinder

1.5in - that big. But i should be able to find something suitable at the truck wreckors. Thanks for that.

Im going to get some flat centres cut out of 3/8 plate and weld them into my current 15in wheels. Sound like a good plan?

Sam

404axzlSpch

·
Registered
286 Posts
Brake Master Cylinder

If you get a Master cyl off a Chevy (holden) 1-ton you should be all set. Mine is a single circuit for the brakes, I will most likely upgrade to a 2 circuit system. But ya, the cylinder pushed a LOT of volume.

So how far are you on the mog axle project? and in-process pics?

404axzlSpch

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I should be able to get one off a chev 1 tonne. There is a mob close that imports spares from the US so I will try them.

As far as progress I got lots to do. Just putting the drive train together ATM. Its a 302 Windsor, NP435, NP205. All sitting on the floor. Just setting up the ancilleries on the motor, do the twin stick mod to the np205 and it should be good to bolt together. Then Im going to sit the front axle under the motor and have a look where it will fit and I probably will cut and shut the 302w sump to give better clearance cause I really want this thing as low as I can get it (which will still be quite high I think). Im thinking that the centre of the front axle line will be about 10inches in front of the front motor pully. I want to run baout 112in WB so I do need to check how the rear DS lenght is going also.

Then for the mogs i got to do the pinion conversion. ATM they have the torque tubes and tailshafts so there is a bit of work to do there. Got to machine the drums for the 15in wheels and get some wheel centres laser cut to convert my 15s to mog pattern.

Once this is done throw the whole lot into a disco frame that I got and slap my current body back on with a new roll cage (got to build this as well).

Want to get it going by the 22 March for a comp so I will see how I go.

Sam

404axzlSpch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts