Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
1st- find the 4 bolts with the castle nuts, and remove them.
2nd the "ears" (caps for the cross pins) will now be loose. remove them.
3rd- watch for, and catch the tiny "O ring" grease rings as you take these apart, and the needle bearings.:eek:
to get to the stub shaft as you mentioned is still requires a bit more disassembly, but you will now see how it works from my description (I hope)
There are 4 tiny machine screws that hold cover(s) over the needle bearings, they just fall out
all told, there are about 14,000 parts in a 404 CV:D
The final pin has about a .040 press fit on it (sarcasm) and is a BITCH to get apart.

mental note* add taking apart 404 CV's to top of "List of things that suck":lmao:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello, I am trying to take apart the cv on the front of my 404 and I am not sure how to take the CV off of the stub shaft, any help is appreciated, and yes I searched, not much on this, thanks.
save yourself the pain...buy a new shaft

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
***hijack***

jrod, you have the BEST avatar.... That is all.

***hijack***

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
thanks, I like it too, the rest of her looks good too, but I cant show that on here, besides she would probably kill me if she knew that was up. bump for the pressed in pin

Yea, bump for the 404 CV.

You mean that's your wife/gf?? I officially hate you.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, bump for the 404 CV.

You mean that's your wife/gf?? I officially hate you.:flipoff2:
nope just a friend, she calls me when she needs some exercise, and vice versa, its a nice arrangement that we have, shes not great in the face, but the rest is well, you can see most of it, enough about the girl though, will save that for chit chat,

As far as the pin goes I found out that yes it is just pressed in, I got the pin out, and am having the shaft machined to fit onto my dana 70 35 spline shaft for the rear axle, I will post up some pics very soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts