Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing a pinion conversion on my 404 mogs using the splined section of the tailshaft and the end piece of the torque tube to end up with something the looks like the exaxt conversion.

My question is this - I was thinking that I would have to put a seal in the end of the torque tube (which is now only 3 inches long) that would run on the outside of the internally splined flanged yoke (which was the splined end of the old drive shaft) BUT on pulling everything apart I can see that there is a alrerady an oil seal that sits in the end of the third member housing that runs onthe pinion shaft so I carnt see that I need to make another seal?? Anyone ever looked at this??

I was thinking if there is already an oil seal that was there then maybe all I need to attach is a dust seal to keep the big lumps out.

Sam

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I would assume that you would have to put another seal in there.

On trucks with leaky seals on the back of the transmissions the gear oil will gradually leak out and fill the axles gradually. So it is very common for Unimog owners to always check fluid levels in the tranny and the axles.

On most Unimogs the tranny seal will usually swell closed with more frequent use and stop leaking.

Later.

Ken S.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup - I put another seal in and it was very easy to do. But one question, how the hell do you drill and tap the end of the pinion to bolt the drive flange on. My drill wouldnt even mark it, so I tried to put a dent in it with my pin punch and even it wouldnt have a look at it so I gave up and Im holding the drive flange on with a grub screw through the side and ground a notch in one of the splines for the grub screw to sit behind.

Hope it holds.

Sam
Bootie fab king.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts