Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today in welding class I found a welding rod laying in my booth. The number on it was 4055 and it said "crack resistant for cast iron welding AC or DCEP" I took it home to try on my AC welder and just running a bead on an old chevy steering arm, it seems like on 105 amps it wasnt burning hot enough, but seemed alot like a 7018. It was an 1/8" rod. Anyone know what the numbers on this mean? i know the 40 means 40,000 tensile stregnth. but the 55 at the end confuses me. Ive never heard of a 5 for a position number.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
hmm, haven't heard of that one. 4055 could've been the rod manufacturer's model number, kinda like lincoln has stuff like 5P and such(it's a 6010 rod). the only 40xx rod i've ever seen is 4043 aluminum stick welding rod

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it has a flux coating. Its for a stick welder.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Almost all steering arms are cast steel. Try it on something that is really cast iron and post back with how it works. If it works good ask your teacher what it is and where to get it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, I used the whole rod on that one bead, guess I didnt have to run such a long bead haha. The steering arm with the weld bead on it has been sitting out in the rain for 3 days and it doesnt have one spot of rust on it...im thinking it might be some type of nickel rod?

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
If you got it from welding class. Didja ever think about asking the Teacher about it?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea I thought about asking the teacher, but he quit recently and took another job elsewhere, the teacher over the class now couldnt tell the difference between a ground clamp and a hammer...so no luck there.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Man its been a while since i've talked out electrodes. Haven't a clue on you 4055. Have you got around to a 6010 yet on a V groove what a pain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts