Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this just a bad idea? I'm thinkin' about droppin' some coin on a set of 40" MTR's. My price on them is pretty good. About half retail. Is it even feasable for a Toyota front to hold 40's? (With Longs and AP inners of course) Or even a Toy rear for that matter?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
damn, pushin it, but arent some of the guys from your state running, the heavier tsl 39.5's?? bad karma or someone?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, but that's who I'm kinda hoping will chime in. I'm only a bit over 3k lbs in the Pathy, so it's not that heavy. The shipping weight on the 40" MTR's is 90lbs. With a wheel, that's about 120lbs for each wheel/tire combo.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
would you rather baby a set of 40's around trying not to break or hammer down on a set of 35's.

running scared is no way to live. i would either get bigger axles or smaller tires.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
How about running the Longfields with Bobbys new inners he just started making;)

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
if you get me a set of fresh 37" mtr's on black steelies, ill give you my ~50% 38.5sx's on eaton beadlox???:D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm with camo on this. I would rather have a little smaller tire and have peice of mind. I like to know that I can use the throttle without breaking stuff. I know several guy's with 36's on toy axles that go everywhere and never have any trouble,some even still have stock birfs. There's many guy's on this board that run 38's with not much trouble if any.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's gonna be my DD, and I can't afford a tow rig, so it wouldn't be completely flogged across trails. Maybe I'll just fawkin' try it. It's only money right? RIGHT!?!?!? :barf:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Brian ellinger offront range runs 39.5 swampeers bad karma I believe runs the same, and there are a few others I believe are running them with no reall problems. I plan on running them (allready have them) with bobbys birfs and axles, with 4:10 elockers dual cases 4.3 for now and a 700r4, and I think I can make the axles live for a while.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
camo said:

running scared is no way to live. i would either get bigger axles or smaller tires.
I love that quote ..................

*PCE talk here* the spline count / dimater is just to small

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
McSoo said:
Well, it's gonna be my DD, and I can't afford a tow rig, so it wouldn't be completely flogged across trails. Maybe I'll just fawkin' try it. It's only money right? RIGHT!?!?!? :barf:
sounds like ya already made up your mind. on a DD i would not run any more than a 35. you are just pissing money away on a mall rig at that point

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
the 37s (mtrs) are cheaper than bfgs if you do it right. they actually measure just over 35.5 inches anyway. they will do very well. i have the 35s and i can hash em. i would like to go 37 but 40 would scare me. i cant afford 60s or new axles all the time.:D

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
McSoo said:
Not sure, but that's who I'm kinda hoping will chime in. I'm only a bit over 3k lbs in the Pathy, so it's not that heavy. The shipping weight on the 40" MTR's is 90lbs. With a wheel, that's about 120lbs for each wheel/tire combo.

My 35x16 boggers weighed that much - go for it :D

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
it is not just weight that you need to concerned with. it is also the lever. the larger radius is a bigger lever and will break stuff easer.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
As bad as I want 40" tires, I am going to wait untill I've got some 60s to put them on. I a saw a set of the 40"MTRs on Skinny's rig yesterday. They are freaken HUGE! They would eat Toyota axle parts for lunch on our trails.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
How do you figure you truck only weighs 3k? With sheetmetal and assorted useless crap there's no way. Toy axles can only go so far and if you're low on cash, you'd better get a second job to afford all the spares you're gonna need. DD, it's just plain stupid.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Save the $$$ from repairs and buy 60s. Then u can wheel hard and have large tyres. :D :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
OK here is a reply from someone who has actually done what you are talking about.

I put my first set of 39.5 TSL's on an 8" Toy axle on Labor Day weekend 1987 (no that is not a typo). Total I have about 9 years of running this set-up. During this time my truck has always been my daily driver as well. I average ~35-40,000 miles per set before selling them. So you can see I get my use out of them. The trails I run are usually in Montrose or South Dakota although I have made the trek to CA two of the last four years in addition.

I don't have Long's either but I do have a home brewed set of Birfields I have been running for over a year. They are IMO as strong as Long's but are available for half the price. Anyway in the 9 years of running 39.5's I have never broke a Birfield. Before any of you think that I baby my truck think out where I said I run now and add the fact that the first 7 1/2 years were in the swamps of FL which is much harder on parts.

FWIW I am also the one who convinced Brian E. to finally run the 39.5's. Now he would never go back.

So what it comes down to is how much do you value the opinion of people who are guessing as to how it would work? That is up to you but I would say do it and never look back except at the guys with smaller tires who are getting their diffs caught on every pebble they can find. :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts