Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little back story, the shop I have been renting for the last 3 years isn't cutting it anymore.
Low ceilings, no heat, no insulation, not enough space, and renting held me back from changing any of that. Plus it is 25 minutes away from where I live.

I am having a contractor that does some work for the company I work for doing most of the work.
I told him what I wanted, and a bunch of money later he started work.

My Jeep has been sitting for over 3 years. It would take me 10 years to build this barn.

On to the new barn, it is 40’x48’ with 16’ ceilings, concrete floor, plenty of power and more room.

The basics:
200 amp service
12’ tall 16’ wide insulated garage door
6 windows on 3 sides for cross ventilation
Metal ceiling
40’x8’ loft for added storage, you can never have enough room.
Large wrap around front porch.
There isn’t a flat area of land on the property…

On to the Electrical:
I wanted to do it right once… We will see how long before I want to add to what I have planned.

120V - 4 outlet (quad boxes) on each support post (8’ OC). Each wall is on its own 20 amp beaker, and all done in 2/10 wire.

220v – 3 outlets around the barn for welder/plasma/air compressor (all on 50 amp breakers). Pre wired 220v line in the ceiling for future lift.

Lighting:
Inside:
Two 40’ runs of double florescent lights on the ceiling. These are on 4 switches so each corner can be turned on independently.

Under loft:
There is 1 run of double florescent lights running 36’ on 2 switches.

Prewired for 2 ceiling fans, each on its own switch.

Exhaust fan with adjustable speed control.

Outside:
Motion light on left and right site of building with switches inside to turn off if needed.
Spot light in front of garage door.
6 can lights under the front porch.
Man door light at front and back man door.

Insulation:
The entire barn was covered in 1/2” foil faced foam to help with condensation. This was installed between the purlins and metal siding.
There will be 3” foam panels on all walls and 12” of blown in insulation in the attic.

Concrete:
4” thick under the left side and 5” for the right half.
The area where the lift will be going is 8”+.

Heating:
There is a wood boiler for the house, but I don’t need to add another project to everything else.
The plan for this year is to run a couple salamanders and hope with all the insulation it will get warm quick, and stay warm longer than what I am use to.
In the spring I will tie into the boiler and heat the barn with that next winter.

Stuff to still be completed:
I am waiting for the co-op to run the power from the primary to the meter.
Finish ceiling light wiring
Install exhaust fan
Buy and install ceiling fans
Install 3” interior insulation
Blow in attic insulation
Finish garage door motor install
Grading work around barn

First picture shows the original drawing.
It shows the porch enclosed, it is not, it also shows it only on the front, it wraps around the left side as well.

2nd and 3rd are the start.
It looks like someone was given a nail gun and 2x4s and told to go have fun.. :laughing:
More pictures coming.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don’t have any pictures from the trusses going on, only took about ½ day with a crane.
I also forgot to take a lot of pictures…
The entire roof is on, all the purlins are on, and most of the exterior ½” thick foam.

The windows in pictures 3 and 4 were changed out for shorter windows so they wouldn’t interfere with the work benches I plan on having along that wall.
Those windows were then added to the other side where I won’t have benches.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the barn as of today.
The contactor is hoping to be 100% with his work by the end of this week.

I will be doing the interior paneling/wallboard and hanging the 2 ceiling fans.

I was between doing interior metal siding similar to the outside, or painted OSB board.
Right now I’m leaning towards painted OSB.
About the same price as metal, easier to mount shelving, hangers, ect., and won’t get dented... But it rots...

Last weekend I brought the Jeep home (the entire reason for this barn).
This was the first time in 3 years it has moved. Now just to have it finished for spring! You can see the new building in the back ground.

Taking pictures at sun set with a cell phone... not my greatest idea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures to come shortly...
My contractor completely dropped the ball getting the service ran to the barn.
4 weeks after taking this over and $4,000 :eek::eek: more I finally got power out to the barn the day after Christmas.

Ceiling insulation is in, all the siding is done, and all the electrical is working.

Things still needing done by contractor:

I have a few bad ballasts in the ceiling.
Hook up the garage door.
Finish installing the wall insulation (3" foam) it's about 98% done.
Get the correct vent for the exhaust fan. The one installed is made for the fan to vent vertically not horizontally.
The gutter from the roof drains to the porch roof, it cant keep up.
They are going to run a downspout into the porch gutter to fix the issue.

My list:
Install OSB on all walls and paint white. (About 20% done now)
Install ceiling fans. (Wiring and switches already installed)
I added an additional 220 plug on the back wall. It shares a breaker with another outlet, but all the 220 is on 50 amp breakers.
The compressor and future lift are on dedicated lines. There are 3 other 220v plugs on 2 separate circuits.
Build or buy stairs for loft access. Welder, plasma, torches will be stored under the stairs.
Over the weekend I built a bench under the entire loft. Its 40' long and 2.5' deep. The last 8" is raised 5.5" so the air compressor will fit under it.
I also started on the OSB.
Eventually I will be running an air line around the entire shop so I'm not dragging air cords everywhere. I'll be using metal pipe.
I will have a lot of grading work to do come spring time.
Some of the construction debris is going to be used to make a RC crawler area behind the shop. This might wait until spring.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OSB up under the loft and progress pictures of the bench.
I built the bench 2.5' deep instead of 2'. I ended up needing 2 more sheets of plywood, but in the end it was completely worth it.
The bench has a 2x6 along the entire back wall, perpendicular 2x6 braces every 2' and 4x4 front legs every 6'. The top is 23/32" thick.
The frame was nailed together, but the plywood was screwed on for easy removal if it ever needs replaced.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice! Any specific reason your making the bench so big?
Thanks!

Few reason:
Depth was because stuff always gets stacked against the wall on benches, this gives me room for "stuff" along with still having room to work. I'm also going to build a shelf above the bench between the windows for additional storage, battery chargers, etc. I made it a little taller than most, but I'm 6'3" so now I'm not leaning over to work on everything. I way over built it because you never know what will end up on it. Yes its over built, yes I could have probably used 1/2 the wood, but I'll never have to worry about it. I've never wished I had less bench space.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's the story on the electrical service? Did you have to eat the $4K? :eek:
I bugged the contractor weekly about getting it set up, nothing was getting done so I started making calls.

There is a primary on the property for the house (the only house pulling from it), I was hoping I could pull off that for the barn.

An engineer from the Co-Op came out and said the distance from the existing primary to the barn was to far (about 500') and I wouldn't be able to have constant voltage. He said Co-Op would have to install an additional primary closer to the barn.

Originally I was thinking I wouldn't be charged for the existing primary to the new primary and only from the 2nd primary to the meter. I was wrong, I'm guessing this is because no other house will ever pull off this box.

Yup... $4k out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally had a decent day and was able to get some pictures from the outside.
Like I said I have some grading work to do.
On the low side of the land, I think I'm going to build a retaining wall with rail road ties in the spring to keep the hill side from washing away.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
I bugged the contractor weekly about getting it set up, nothing was getting done so I started making calls.

There is a primary on the property for the house (the only house pulling from it), I was hoping I could pull off that for the barn.

An engineer from the Co-Op came out and said the distance from the existing primary to the barn was to far (about 500') and I wouldn't be able to have constant voltage. He said Co-Op would have to install an additional primary closer to the barn.

Originally I was thinking I wouldn't be charged for the existing primary to the new primary and only from the 2nd primary to the meter. I was wrong, I'm guessing this is because no other house will ever pull off this box.

Yup... $4k out of pocket.
Did you run 200amp service to the barn?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, 200 amp service.
Co-Op said there is 7100 watts at the primary by the barn.
I should be good if 200 amps isn't enough in the future. :D

All the 110v was done in 12 gauge with 20 amp breakers and the 220v in 10 gauge with 50 amp breakers.

The ceiling lights are on 4 different breakers and there are 4 outlets in the ceiling that runs off the light circuits.
This will be nice if for some reason I need power in the loft as I don't have any wall outlets in the loft.

Each wall has its own 20 amp circuit.

Random picture of where the future RC crawler course will be.
Anyone want a stump?? :laughing:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts