Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone give me any info on a 70' model 413, it is connected to a loadflight auto. have read chiltons, awsome tourque monster..........anything else, everyone i talk to says BOAT ANCHOR. how can a motor that makes so much power that low be crap????? thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You're looking at a TH 413 (Truck, Heavy). Used in commercial vehicles and motorhomes. Got a wierd water pump that sits way up high for tall vehicles; won't be able to run a regular fan in a pickup. Used a square-pattern Holley Super-Duty 600 cfm vac. secondary industrial and heavy truck carb. like the Ford 477 and 534. May have some interesting mount issues getting it transplanted, but I'm sure it can be done. Lots of unique parts on those that don't interchange with older (car) 413's or other RB engines. Built on the same block casting as the 426, so has enormous thick cylinder walls. Torque monster is exactly right; I rebuilt a Dana 70 some years ago after one of these combos mashed the carrier bearing shims out and chewed them up. Nothing wrong with the 413, but be aware that the TH version has some differences.

To see what these are really capable of, look up the 1961 413 Max Wedge. :cool:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys. not sure what to do with it. ran smooth about two years ago, but been sitting ever since. might go into next project, going to build either a pulling truck or sled puller.
or maybe power my new swamp buggy, dunno yet. thanks for the info, if anyone has anything to add feel free, thanks again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have pulled a few of these early 70s 413 motor home engines. I wanted them for the forged cranks, which are the same as the 440. After reading the thread on the 413 HD on the scout board, I feel I should comment on the crank stroke issue. Someone mentioned that the industrial 413 had a 3.70 stroke crank as adversed to the automotive 3.75 stroke crank. Perhaps these shorter stroke cranks are the ones with eight bolt holes in the flange that I have heard about??

Be aware that there are other industrial 413s that do not have this shorter stroke crank, but have the regular 413/426/440 six hole crank and the standard LY rod (non six pack). they still have the strange heads with direct water passage to each head. These heads use a different exhaust manifold than the regular heads, but the intake appears to be the same (not positive though). I have seen three of them like this now.

I primarily wanted them for the steel cranks which are worth some money. And also to use a crank in a 400 block that's lying here... (not for a truck motor though, for a high rpm muscle car screamer). but after checking out these super beefy blocks, i may use a 413 with some 452 heads for a truck engine!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't know much dodge, but my 413 does have the funky water inlets/outlets at both ends of the head, but it also has a set of headers on it.( diff exhast manifolds???) what would this engine be worth in running cond, ball park figure.(even if just for parts)
thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought my motorhome 413s for $75 apiece. But the cranks are worth around $125 alone. The block has some value as a BB builder if its not way overbored. But probably not worth more than $75. Really, its greatest value is as a truck engine, they have tons of torque and low compression for crappy gas.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea, i debating on using it or not. but thanks for all the info, its helped alot. when i got the engine and trans they were in a s-10 believe it or not......it had lots of instant torque.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.