Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone run these yet? Thinking about getting rid of the sticky mtr's on a buddy's race buggy and going to these. Going through a mud hole in a race is fine with the mtr's but trail riding they just don't seem to work as good, and since his buggy is dual purpose, he wants both. Plus, he's liking the idea of the stronger sidewalls. How do these compare size wise to the 39 Krawlers and mtr's? Anyone have a side by side comparison pic? How soft does the compound seem?

Here's the buggy they will be going on (bc everyone loves looking at pics)

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Compound is the same as a 42" rocker (soft). In terms of size they are damn near the same height as a 42" Kevlar, so a good 3" over a red and give or take 2" on the current mtr's. I would be interested in the current kevlar's.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm running the 41.5's on my buggy. I haven't had a ton of trail time on them, so they aren't broke in so to speak, but so far they seem to hook up pretty good. They love little to no air pressure in them!

I had some issues with them out in Moab not sticking very well in certain spots, but this was the 3rd time out with them, and it was also really wet and muddy out there so tough to really judge it.

I originally was shooting for the 42" Kevlars but no one in the country had them and I was in a bind, so I pulled the trigger on the Rockers. Still kinda wish I had the Kevlars, but I'm pretty happy with the Rockers so far. They look mean as shit too! :D

Size wise, with them mounted on the rig with around 20 psi in them, the measure just shy of 41". So they are pretty true to the size unlike Swampers or some other tires. The rubber seems extremely soft too for being a radial tire. As already mentioned above, the are pretty much identical to the 42" bias ply.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I'm running the 41.5's on my buggy. I haven't had a ton of trail time on them, so they aren't broke in so to speak, but so far they seem to hook up pretty good. They love little to no air pressure in them!

I had some issues with them out in Moab not sticking very well in certain spots, but this was the 3rd time out with them, and it was also really wet and muddy out there so tough to really judge it.

I originally was shooting for the 42" Kevlars but no one in the country had them and I was in a bind, so I pulled the trigger on the Rockers. Still kinda wish I had the Kevlars, but I'm pretty happy with the Rockers so far. They look mean as shit too! :D

Size wise, with them mounted on the rig with around 20 psi in them, the measure just shy of 41". So they are pretty true to the size unlike Swampers or some other tires. The rubber seems extremely soft too for being a radial tire. As already mentioned above, the are pretty much identical to the 42" bias ply.
Once the sidewalls get broken in, they will work much better and at higher pressures. I ran 3-4 psi for most of my first season and then ran 10-15 psi after that on a sub 4k rig

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's what I've been told. I've been running them around 6-8 psi, but my rig also weighs well north of 5k. I'm sure this next summer they'll get properly broke in. :mr-t:

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How are they worth wise? Do they run pretty true? Does the tread and sidewall balloon like the wider sizes, or are they pretty square like a regular narrower tire? Do you have any pics of them mounted?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've only had them on the street for a couple miles, but I was very impressed how they handled especially with no kind of balancing what so ever. Didn't have much vibration or wobble at all.

The sidewall and tread are square and don't balloon. That's the main reason I went with this size and a radial...I hate tires that balloon. Im posting this from my phone, but I have some pics on my computer at work that I'll post up in the morning for you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am also looking into these tires for the width reason. My only concern is how they work compared to the bias version. I've seen the bias in action where i wheel and know they work damn good, just like to know how radials do before i drop the money for em.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here is a couple for you.

This is the only real good straight on shot that I have. But it shows how straight up and down the sidewall & the tread is.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is about the only decent video that I have. I think I was running 8 or 10 psi in this video, and they were still VERY new at this point so the sidewall was still pretty stiff. If I managed to keep the mud off of them, they worked really well out in Moab. We just had shitty weather the entire trip, so I dealt with mud more than I cared for.

I'm kinda curious how they would have worked if I dropped the pressure down to 1 or 2 psi. I've been told by a few people that is when they really start to work, especially when they are new.

It's not much, but here you go.

Bull canyon moab 2011 - YouTube

·
Registered
401 Posts
Has anyone had any burping of the inner bead with these? I'm thinking the radial would flex more and not allow it to pull away from the inner bead. I have spyderlocks too and my tsl's burp air a lot when at 5-8 pounds. Any real world opinions on the sidewall strength compared to the bias?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I ran 37" bias plies for 2.5 years (they get soooo much better once they break in!)

My buddy (joez) has been running the 37" radials on 16.5 hummer double beadlocks. I was interested to see if the radial could at least come close to my bias. After a year....I can say, there was never a point when I thought, "my bias would do that better." I was constantly amazed!! My next tire will be rocker radials and that may be the last tire I ever buy!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
^^ Thats all i needed to hear!! ^^
I think I may prefer the radial. Its shape is much better, they run true to size, and they dont balloon. I dont feel that they hook up less than the bias. They also shouldn't flat spot, though through 2 chicago winters after letting the tires sit in sub freezing temps for a month (leaking down to single digit psi, as a beadlock tends to do), my bias plys never flat spotted! The sx's I had before the rockers could flat spot at a gas station.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I run 42" bias plys really like em, work very well out here.

2 guys I wheel with run radials one on 35s the other on 37s they seem to work about the same as my 42s better than Iroks or the MTRs out on the trail

Plus they ride really nice. Guy with the 37s thought we had balanced his tires for him ( buddy and I mounted em) nope no balance weights on em at all.

He took them in got em balanced and they felt even better.

The radials seem to be making up the height difference from the bias plys, the smaller sizes (in bias) are short, but the radial of the same size is way bigger

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone racing on these, how are they tracking at speed in the dirt? Do they wander or do they track pretty good?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts