Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to find a little help and info from those that know. A buddy of mine has gotten an chance to get a 427 matched to an allison auto trans. Both are resently rebuilt. Here's the questions.

1. How about the 427. Any good? What are the specs on it? Worth using?
2. How about the Allison. I know they are rumored to be stong trans., but are they really? What's the best transfer to put with it and who makes adapters for it?

Don't want to jump then regret it. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
if the Allison is built right, it'll handle just about any HP you can throw at it. mine it slightly better than the equivalent of an SCIII ( Suncoast stage 3) and it'll handle upwards of 600hp no prob.

I have about 440hp in my d-max now and it's fun :D

go a step farther than I did and it'll handle in the range of up to 1000hp

great trans, just not sure if it's what you want for that app

hope that helps a little

·
Registered
439 Posts
There are a couple versions of the 427, if this is a combination I would "assume" it is a tall deck truck motor... torquey, but not the screemer the car motored version is.. What is the combo out of? Ryder truck? School bus? There are many different models of allison transmission, is this an a-545?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if it's Ford, Chevy or what. It is out of a school bus, or at least a short bus so I guess that makes it a Truck 427. He's wanting a crawler, not a racer, so torque is more important, right? Is there a way to adapt the trans to 4x4.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I don't know if it's Ford, Chevy or what. It is out of a school bus, or at least a short bus so I guess that makes it a Truck 427. He's wanting a crawler, not a racer, so torque is more important, right? Is there a way to adapt the trans to 4x4.

Probably a tall deck 427. 4 bolt mains, Basically has an extra compression ring with a .400 taller deck. Not much for HP, but will run all day at medium RPMs.
If you want a 496, just bore it .060 over, install 454 pistons on longer rods and add a 4.25" stroke crank.

Build for Torque and HP will follow.
I have a 4.250 stroke 490 ci BBC standard deck with blower.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm going to guess a 60s vintage 427 big block Chevy side oiler.
Wait, I think the 427 Fords were the side oilers?
Yes, Ford had the side oiler, and no, they weren't put into buses:) If it came from a bus, then it is basically a smaller version of the 454, same family, parts interchange, great motor that will produce lots of torque properly st up.

Allison tranny, which one (as mentioned above) many versions from 4 to 5 to 6 speed versions. My brothers neighbor has a 40' motorhome with a Caterpillar making a modded 450+HP and over 1500 ft Lbs of torque running through an Allison tranny. So, you tell me if it is a strong tranny:laughing:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Yes, Ford had the side oiler, and no, they weren't put into buses:) If it came from a bus, then it is basically a smaller version of the 454, same family, parts interchange, great motor that will produce lots of torque properly st up.

Allison tranny, which one (as mentioned above) many versions from 4 to 5 to 6 speed versions. My brothers neighbor has a 40' motorhome with a Caterpillar making a modded 450+HP and over 1500 ft Lbs of torque running through an Allison tranny. So, you tell me if it is a strong tranny:laughing:

yep, mine is about 440hp and 1000ft/lbs in a p/u :D (the motorohome will have a larger version of what I have of the Allison)

·
Registered
534 Posts
yep, mine is about 440hp and 1000ft/lbs in a p/u :D (the motorohome will have a larger version of what I have of the Allison)

Yep, you have the Allison 1000.

My Cummins QC DRW is 508HP/1008TQ on the rollers through a 6 speed also (6 speed manual:D)

·
Registered
754 Posts
you might check with allison first. my best friend wanted to put an allison behind the 540 chevy in one of his "work" trucks a few years back. in talking with allison, they had told him it would not be a good idea due to the fact that the allisons arnt built to spin that fast. they are made for slower-revving diesels. things may have cnanged since with some of their transmissions, and i know all about how the diesel racers are spinning their motors to 5k nowadays (at least the cummins are, i dont follow the duramax motors that much). again, things may have changed, but if i were you, id check with allison on it. im just going off what allison had said a few years ago.

good luck and let us know how it turns out!

jeremy

·
Registered
534 Posts
you might check with allison first. my best friend wanted to put an allison behind the 540 chevy in one of his "work" trucks a few years back. in talking with allison, they had told him it would not be a good idea due to the fact that the allisons arnt built to spin that fast. they are made for slower-revving diesels. things may have cnanged since with some of their transmissions, and i know all about how the diesel racers are spinning their motors to 5k nowadays (at least the cummins are, i dont follow the duramax motors that much). again, things may have changed, but if i were you, id check with allison on it. im just going off what allison had said a few years ago.

jeremy

How fast are THEY talking about? How fast did your 540 buddy plan on spinning his "work truck" motor? How fast is this guy going to spin a crawler motor?:shaking:

·
Registered
754 Posts
it has something to do with the fact that this 540 revs to 7k. allsions are put behind motors rev-limited around 3200 (factory). that 540 spins over twice that... most "crawler" motors spin around 6k so thats still more than what a stock allison is for. all im saying is that it might be wise to talk with allison and see what they have to say. maybe the guy plans on building the allison and knows ways to make it survive; im fully aware of how the diesel market has skyrocketed in the past few years. i know guys are spinning the diesels like gas motors these days, and i know the 47re and 48re's can handle that. i cant comment on the duramaxes all that much, as i spend my time with my cummins. i dont know, im just passing on info...

jeremy

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
a stock 47 or 48 re ain't gonna handle it......not for long anyways

the big thing about the allison and a gas engine, is the rpm at which it shifts. if the trans is designed for a low revving diesel, it will shift too soon behind a gasser and may lug the engine

if this trans CAME behind a gasser from the factory, then the governor should be setup for higher rpm shifting

·
Registered
754 Posts
^^^ well i meant built. but even so, the 47's and 48's can handle spinning faster. stock or not. but thats beside the point cause i know these trannies arnt in this discussion.

jeremy

·
Registered
943 Posts

jeremy

Chevy puts the 1000's behind the 8.3L, so I assume that they will survive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Allison has been behind it for a number of years now. It's handled the bus fine and for a short time they were using the bus to pull trailers around. So I think it is setup to run on the gasser just fine. My big question left though is what transfer do you put behind it. Do you go find a transfer out of a Chevy that was already mated to an Allison. Or is there a company out there that makes adapters?

·
Registered
439 Posts
You will have to go divorced, or build something custom...

Once again there are several models of allisons, this will "probably" be a 545,
which shares nothing but the name in common with the modern 1000 that
everyone seems to want to talk about here.

For reference here are some specifications regarding strength etc...:
http://www.industrialautomatic.com/html/onhiway.htm

Or for the click challenged here are the quick specs:

Net input power (max)...........................180 hp (134 kW)
Input speed range......................2400 - 4000 rpm (diesel),
3200 - 4400 rpm (gasoline)
Input speed range w/retarder option....2400 - 3600 rpm (diesel),
3200 - 3600 rpm (gasoline)
Net input torque (max)......................380 lb ft (515 Nm)
Vehicle weight (GVW or GCW)..............26,500 lbs (12,020 kg)
maximum standard load

Range Ratios*:
First...................................3.45:1
Second..................................2.25:1
Third...................................1.41:1
Fourth..................................1.00:1
Reverse.................................5.02:1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts