Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im now at just the beggining of my 428 fe build. Ive recently built a strong 390 which i always wanted to make a 410 with a 428 crank. Well a year later now and I found a standard 428 block for $200! Its from a backyard machine shp and hes says he got a couple that have just sat for years. Well I've ordered a standard stroke new Scat crank for it and now I'm just deciding what else I need for this build. I plan on transferering mostly all of my 390 engine (except the obvious pistons,crank..) to the new block to make it reasonably priced. here goes my list of what i got
-crane cam 343941
-edelbrock performer intake
-d2teaa heads
-headers
-crane cam fire ball electronic ignition
-meling high volume std. pressue oil pump
-windage tray
-scat 428 crank
-truck 390 rods
-edelbrock 650 offroad carb(getting rid of)

So as for carb im thinkin of going to a holley offroad avenger 770 and get rid of my edelbrock,which has been good for me though
Pistons I will most likely go .030 over because the block will most likely need to be bored. I want to make no more than 10:1 compression. What piston will be suitable for me with a 79 f350 with 44" tsl? I have a guy who's got some stock cast .030 over cobra jet pistons for about 150$ up here .think these might be ok. I've been told they are 10:3 or 10:6 compression range(depending on head I guess).
Flywheel i was planning on balancing my 390 one to work but i just found a stock 428 flywheel yesterday for 175$ Is there any advantage to the 428 flywheel or is my 390 one fine with balancing?
Heads I want to run the larger cobra jet valvesto get them to flow and some minor porting if it helps. Heads have been shaved from previuos owner knowing this because to make my new edelbrock intake to fit i had to shave the sides about .030 to make it sit flat for valve covers to sit which also put my compression at 9:1 that i was told from the machine shop vs the 8:1 from a standard truck head.
Any help or pointers would be appreciated...
What do you think

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts
I think I would spring for edelbrock heads. They'll flow better, and they'll tolerate 10:1 compression with pump gas better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm currently nearing the end of my 428 build also. I just need a starter and figure out what I'm going to do for the ignition.

I had my block bored 30 over.
crank ground 10/10
Balanced with stock 428 flex plate
Pistons are 1138 silvolites
Reman CJ rods with ARP studs in the rods and mains
I have the C6AE-R heads, they have the larger intake runners
I had new guides and seats.
New rocker shafts with oil restricted to .120 at the heads
Comp XE262H kit, springs, locks, retainers timing set blah blah
Performer RPM intake 7105 "not 2105 it has small intake runners"""
headman headers, and a Holley 750

For the balancing its a must don't cut this corner. You have 2 options..

You can either internal balance it and use a 360/390 flywheel without the weight. This costs a little more coin because the crank will need some metal added to it and is expensive. But If you are running a manual and ever up grade your clutch. Or decide to switch out the trans Auto/Manual you only have to bolt on a regular internal balanced flywheel.

Or you can use the factory flywheel with the weight on it and have it balanced the way it is. You just will need another factory flywheel or flexplate and have it balanced to match your old ones balance if they took weight off of it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have my 390 short block I'm parting. Its a standard non turned crank,with .030 forged 4 eyebrow pistons. I'm in Canada though..

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
-edelbrock performer intake
-d2teaa heads.....What do you think
I think it would seriously bum me out to see you bolt those onto a 428 :(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WHY? Heads will be put back in with larger cj valves, and intake is designed for torque low rpm. Its not a mustang...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey 73 Ford Guy,
I also agree that the aluminum heads would be a good idea with that much compression (10.0 to 10.5). I would shy away from the high volume oil pump as I have seen them flood the top end of the engine with oil on a stock clearanced street driven unit (Will suck oil past the valve guides and smoke). As far as flywheels a 390 unit can be balanced by drilling out metal on the opposite side of where the counterweight is on the stock 428 one. I have made many this way for 428 engines.If you use a 390 truck one you get an 11.5 inch clutch and you get an 11 inch clutch with a 360 one. Good luck on your build! I love these engines. I have 2 complete 390 4v engines for sale and (4) 3.98 stroke 428 cranks.

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts
WHY? Heads will be put back in with larger cj valves, and intake is designed for torque low rpm. Its not a mustang...
I have a F427 intake on my 390, and guess what? It has brute low end torque and still makes power above 4,000. That performer is a cork.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I have a F427 intake on my 390, and guess what? It has brute low end torque and still makes power above 4,000. That performer is a cork.
Ayup.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so with the intake you guys may be right. Ive heard about it not being that great so I tore apart my 390 tonite to have a look. The ports do seem to be quite a bit smaller than the actually gasket size. What is a better intake besides a 427 which would be so rare you'd never find one? Would the performer rpm have bigger ports? I have alot of $ into my performer about $300 for it plus another $250 for it to be machined on both sides due to it not fiting my heads properly. I guess after getting my heads all rebuilt the previous owner must have shaved it down a bit because the intake would sit high and not bottom out properly giving a flat surface between heads and valve covers. I figure this is why my compression was 9:1 vs a stock truck 390 is usually around 8:1..

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
first off is the block a cj block - or a service 428 ?

i have and have built quite a few fe engines. the 428cj in my 73 f100 was dyno'd at over 500hp. of course that was after dumping a lot of cash on a few builds.

the performer is a good easy was of upgrading a 360/390 from a 2 brl to a 4 brl, that is it. all most every factory 4brl intake has larger ports and flows more. the only advantage you would get is the weight savings, that is if you port matched it, otherwise it will make less hp. i have installed that intake and used it on my first 428 build. it sucked, plain and simple. if you are stuck on a basic dual plain then look into an offy. they flow more and the ports are larger.

watch out for the performer rpm. there are two - early and late. both look the same but the late has larger ports and more material to port match. i think the late came out the smae time as there heads - note - all the performer intake i have installed do not have enough material to port match on most heads. even though it is called the rpm it works well on most larger cube FEs. the offy port o sonic also seems to keep a good idle vaccum and thus good off idle responce.

for a truck the reg 390 heads are fine, but there are many ways to make them better. i have not looked up your casting # ( im to lazy ) but most are fine with the 1.94 intake and 1.55. a good port cleaning on the intake and POLISH on the exhaust and they flow well enough to allow power up to around 46-5000 rpm. i wouldnt bother with a 428cj or scj set as most are cracked and need more work. in that case the eddys are a good choise. i wouldnt look into the aluminum heads unless you want more than 400hp.

drop the compression ratio to no more than 9.5:1 if you want it to run well on pump gas. my second 428 build had the scj heads and factory cc pistons - 10.5:1 on a hot day, working her hard she would ping, i would take a few deg out but sometimes it was not enough.

to really know the compression you need to cc the heads and do the math, dont count on what they should be. dont bother with the high volume pump, just clean up the oil passage ways at the oil filter adapter. the only time you need a bigger pump is if you are running loose bearing tolerances and hi rpm.

one engine combo i had good luck with was my 428cj block .030 over ,balanced , 390 truck heads that were ported and polished by me 2.02 intake 1.66 ex, - i can get the casting number if you really need it - edelbrock rpm intake port matched, a holley street avenger 670, comp cam 268h - roller rockers ( harland sharp ) 1 7/8" header to dual 2.5" and a mallory unicrap dissy ( dont ever get one i hated it ) - i put 100k on this combo and it put down almost 340 hp to the tires trough a c6 - in fact i should not have fucked with it to build my present engine ( that is waiting on rebuild # bazzilloin - fucking dragracing -- but it this one made over 500 hp and pushed it to a low 13 on 33 tsls :smokin: )

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a Streetmaster 390 a couple years ago but flogged it off to "upgrade" to my performer. I'm choked that I bought this intake if it's just smoging out my performance! What's another $500 to my build I guess when I've got that tree growing cash in the backyard..

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I'd sugest looking into aftermarket rods!
I've had them snap on two different 390s, one stock and one built like the one you have.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rods are all new with ARP bolts.
This thread is old now. Thus motor is built and better than the spec sheet with heads ported, hardened exhaust seats, and stainless cj valves.
Some more goodies too like powermaster starter and petronix III ignitor setup..
Shes got some ummmpffff

·
Registered
101 Posts
FUEL INJECT it don't mess around with carbs . Edlebroke now makes fuel injection intake manifold. Port it to make it better then turbo it. Just getting ready to start my 428 build but maybe stroke a 360 block got to see which is better for the base block.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts