Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live up here in alaska i have an 85 toy there is not alot of rocks up here, mostly mud and deep water crossings. i have room to clear some 42 tsl what do you all think? will my frount axel hold up with some longs up graded inners, i am running a 302 and C4 with a dual cases. or am i just smokin somthin for even thinkin this, i figure that i may get away with cause of the lack of tracton in this state, i would just like to hear you alls thoughts on it.

Thanks Trevor

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Bj on roids runs 42s on his cruiser with stock toy axles and a set of longs and has driven it real hard and has just destroyed 1 longCV but it was deserved.
If you are mainly running MUD then with a set of longs and upgraded inners it should be fine.

One question though if you dont have rocks then why run a dual case i have never used double low ever in mud their is just not enough wheel speed.

·
Registered
975 Posts
A friend of mine has 42's on his 84 with a 350 conversion.

But he also has a 60 front and 70 rear i think. He is on the board maybe he will chime in with his opinions.

his screen is stf0412

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i saw your thread tittle an was preparing to open the thread and flame you. however i read it and see your point. if i was in your position here is what i would do to my front axle to make it work.

1. longs
2. all-pro inners
3. high pinion with 4:10 gears only

then i would run a dual case with a 4:7 or 5:0 gear and run around town in 2 low.

give it a try and let us know how they hold up. as noted, BJ does it and he says it works for him. you will break stuff but with some common sence not every day.

that said i would also be on the look out for a full width 44 to build up so you can steer.

·
Registered
801 Posts
WHat are the benifits to keeping the Toy front if you have to dump up to $1000 into it to run big tires, 42's in this case, with a V8/auto/duals? Wouldn't your money be more well spent on a front 60? Then you can play longer/harder without the fear of breaking the Toy front.

Just my thinking.:confused:

·
Registered
188 Posts
not to mention that the toy axle is so narrow that with a tire that big you will not be turning the wheel very far before they catch your springs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the respones. i any trying to decide do i put monney inot my toy axel or swap in the dana 70's that i already have. turning is somtihng that i have not put to much thought into.

somone askedwhy i run dual cases when there are not rocks up here. i built my truck to play in the summer and as a hunting truck in the fall i there is so much area that the trail is nothin but a river bed and the low gears when you have alot camping gear ect. on the truck are nice to have. and for going down big hills that is why and they are cool:D

i just hate to give up[ the ground clearence of the toy axels by swapin the 70's or 60's i think that i will search and maybe shave them.

would i want to just go full with or narrow them a little puttin in full with is a new thought to me what i worrie about lookin too wide going down the street not that it is a on the road much but i hate gettin tickets

thanks agin all the have replyed i know this is not rock crawlin but there is so much info on here that i figure if you think that it would stand up to rocks it will last for a long time up here in the land of no traction later Trevor

·
Registered
188 Posts
no need to narrow them, use the backspacing on your rims to keep your width down. You will be suprised, a full width 60 with stock hummer rims is not very wide at all.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
camo said:
give it a try and let us know how they hold up. as noted, BJ does it and he says it works for him. you will break stuff but with some common sence not every day.
i do not use common sense (note correct spelling) i like to get wheel speed, and drive hard, the front axle (9.25" centre) with airlocker, low pinion, and leaf springs, full steering lock to lock, and it held up to some amazing punishment, in fact three of the guys in our wheeling clique run longs, and i can guranatee you would all be surprised at the abuse these birfs take. Ruff could break the stockers on demand with 4cyl and 33s i could break them stock with 35s, and a bit of pedal. (EVERY TIME WE WENT OUT WHEELING) so for these to last 6 months is a testament to thier quality. my front axle hasnt gone unmaintained for that long EVER! :D

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
and changing a nice clean and sheared off axle is much easier than changing an exploded birf. plus no housing damage, no shards of steel in your hand, no torn out axle seals, torn out trunion bearings and no bound up tyres stopping you from driving. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
777 Posts
camo said:
i saw your thread tittle an was preparing to open the thread and flame you. however i read it and see your point. if i was in your position here is what i would do to my front axle to make it work.

1. longs
2. all-pro inners

why run the all-pro inners? why not just run bobby's new inners??
do the all-pro inner's last longer?

also i was wondering,couldn't you just run the stock inners with a set of Longs, since he isn't on the rocks? seems to me i would rather have my weak link be a inner axle instead of my ring and pinion. but maybe that's just me

jeremy

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
this is one of the biggest and cheapeast available axles in Australia, if we had an abundance of dana 60s, then i would run one of those with 35spline outers. I like to get into it, and carnage is possible with 60s, but id prefer the strength

we can get rockwells cheap, but i think they require too much lift and thier total mass worries me. (props to the guys running them it is a cheap solution) BUT i want something with NEW technology, new metals, more splines, and better heat treating methods. 300m = siiiiik mate!!!

toyota is good bang for the $$

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
bobby has sent me some broken test samples that suggest that his re heat treated inners may take more load to break over the stock toyota. however i would still rather run a set of cro-mo inners than reheat treated stock units.

if you run a hp 4:10 gear i belive the weak link will always be the 27 spline inner shaft regardless of the material.

for the low cost the bobby long inners may be a good alterniative.

fyi. it is starting to seem like the next weak link is the toyota hub. i have begun to see more and more failures

·
Registered
482 Posts
camo said:

1. longs
2. all-pro inners

that said i would also be on the look out for a full width 44 to build up so you can steer.
I would build a $12,000 40 spline dana 60 front and don't look back!
:D
I would also run Longs inners because Mr Long will not warranty his birfs with chromoly axles.

·
Registered
777 Posts
fullywrecked said:

I would build a $12,000 dana 60 front and don't look back!
:D

why do that when i can get 60's front and rear where i'm at for $200 a piece :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts