Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been handed the task of building engines to keep up with Trentfab's kickass buggies. I thought I'd post a few pics of the latest.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Excellent first post. Continue along in this vein, please. And if you've got sweet car shit, post in Chit-Chat. I could stare at machined bits all day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx,

Its an LS2 block with 4.155 darton sleeves, lunati 4" rotating, Mahle flattops (11.2:1) WCCH L92 heads (360,250cfm), Comp Cams stick, Yella Terra shaft mounts, saberseal MLS gaskets, all ARP, 60lb injectors, L76 intake, Williams throttle body, Howe loom, GM gen 3 ecm with diablo tuning,

I should have the valvetrain geometry finished tonight so I can seal it up. I have another trentfab engine to build later this week.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Any plans for dyno #'s before delivery to T-Fab?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
650hp 550ft lbs easy!!!!
That seems to be the concensus. We've built a few of these for drag cars and hit low 700's and mid 500's. The configuration is a bit different, lower rod ratio, much different cam characteristics, much more bowl work with less port enlargement, we're trying to get the torque over 600 for 2000rpm usable. We may have to dial it back so the rig doesn't flip on its lid every time he throttles it:D

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
That seems to be the concensus. We've built a few of these for drag cars and hit low 700's and mid 500's. The configuration is a bit different, lower rod ratio, much different cam characteristics, much more bowl work with less port enlargement, we're trying to get the torque over 600 for 2000rpm usable. We may have to dial it back so the rig doesn't flip on its lid every time he throttles it:D
I would run the L92 truck intake over the L76 car. It should give better low end. The biggest thing with LSx's is getting the right cam. Not sure if it will be that high torque in that low of the rpm band it would be nice to know what it makes.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Okay, let me ask differently.

Are you going to back up your guess with real dyno #'s? If not, no big deal, just want to see what this motor will put out with the tuning it has.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've assembled more than thirty LS engines. I have dyno numbers on more than ten of them. The last engine I built with similar components made 601hp and 544tq. I'm hoping to bring the torque up and flatten the curve a bit, but even if it makes the same as the last engine it'll hand an ls7 its ass.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I've assembled more than thirty LS engines. I have dyno numbers on more than ten of them. The last engine I built with similar components made 601hp and 544tq. I'm hoping to bring the torque up and flatten the curve a bit, but even if it makes the same as the last engine it'll hand an ls7 its ass.
Have you found a cam for it yet? I am look at adding L92 heads and intake on my 6.0L and was wanting a have torque low power band cam. Most i seen make peak at above 6000!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you found a cam for it yet? I am look at adding L92 heads and intake on my 6.0L and was wanting a have torque low power band cam. Most i seen make peak at above 6000!
The L92 heads are a bit large for a 366 unless you are trying to make peak above 6000rpm. Your port velocity will fall and drop your torque. Look into ported 243 castings instead. The cam stuff for L92's is non-existent. The store bought profiles are all for cathedral port heads.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The L92 heads are a bit large for a 366 unless you are trying to make peak above 6000rpm. Your port velocity will fall and drop your torque. Look into ported 243 castings instead. The cam stuff for L92's is non-existent. The store bought profiles are all for cathedral port heads.
The L76 6.0L (vortec max) use the L92 heads and intake just with a lower compression ratio. I figured it would work.
It makes nice low end with the VVT but I figured I read up on LS1tech and search for a Gen III cam that would work.
I am looking for a 6l80 to put behind it. So It'll have enough gears! Lol...:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think GM went a bit big on that engine. The LS2 heads have better velocity on <380" engines and make better torque...especially below 6000rpm. The trick would be a VVT 6.2 with LS2 heads and a cam with a bit more lift. It might be worth checking if anybody has a VVT loom available and git ya some of that technology.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I think GM went a bit big on that engine. The LS2 heads have better velocity on <380" engines and make better torque...especially below 6000rpm. The trick would be a VVT 6.2 with LS2 heads and a cam with a bit more lift. It might be worth checking if anybody has a VVT loom available and git ya some of that technology.
I thought the VVT was used to help with the larger heads?:confused: I haven't seen the specs on the stock VVT Cam posted yet.

I wish they had aftermarket cams for the VVT. You could have a nasty cam that would be mild at idle and part thottle.

Post more pictures!:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The cam cannot create velocity. Each component must match the grand design. GM could have done better with a cathedral port on that engine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts