Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck:
Stock 1981 toyota - no crawler.
Added 44044s with 2inch extended shackels on the rear of the spring.

All-Pro high steer setup (not installed) yet..

From what I've read, I've got a few options in regard to my pinion angle:

1) Install shims on my axles, probably looking at +6 degrees. This will probably wack my caster and make the truck nasty on the road. My interfere with the All-Pro steering.

2) Cut and rotate the axle. This is possible since the axle is already off and disassembled, I can do this... It will just take some time to cut, rebuild all of the perches, and rotate appropriately. Pain in the ass, but cheap.

3) Drop the front spring hanger about 1.5 inches. Easy to do... Anyone running this setup succesfully? It adds lift to an already very tall system. Is this enough to correct the pinion angle with 44044s?

4) High pinion 3rd. Not gonna happen... Too much $$$ and I've already got to buy gears, a locker, and have the 3rd setup.

5) Install a crawler. $500 for the crawler and then resizing both driveshafts.

Suggestions?
Initially, I'm thinking of going with the axle rotation or adding the front drop hanger. I think I'll rotate the axle 6.5 degrees if I decide to cut it (6 inches for the 44044s lift and another 1/2 degree to account for the existing shim).

Man you end up with a $1000 truck with a buttload of money in it!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't get rid of the 2in extended shackles w/o relocating the spring itself - IE building new hangers in front. The 44044s are longer than stock... The 2in shackles are "required" to mount the 44044s due to their length.

So your suggestion is to move the axle forward - basically move the front mount forward and get rid of the extended shackle. Is this enough to get the pinion angle close?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
dcg9381 said:
So your suggestion is to move the axle forward - basically move the front mount forward and get rid of the extended shackle. Is this enough to get the pinion angle close?
Yes. Get rid of the longer shackles, fab a drop hanger up front with 1.5" of forward axle placement. That should get you about where you need to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts