Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Davidtacoma's statement that he's broken 2 of them now has got me a bit worried about hanging my portals and 14r20's off of them.

Anyone else having problems with them? Common problem? whats a better pack to be useing?

these will be mounted SUA if it makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I am using them, when I come up to an obstacle and try to drive over it, the main leaf bends almost 90 degrees. What i did was take a 2 stock jeep shackles and sandwhich the spring between the 2 shackles (runbolts through the shackle holes). Kinda like a giant spring clip. The springs still flex awesome and work great since I have done that. It did stretch my jeep out to almost 100" but the springs need another military wrap from the factory to make them last. been running them for a almost a year now that way
jim

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
flatbelly7 said:
I am using them, when I come up to an obstacle and try to drive over it, the main leaf bends almost 90 degrees. What i did was take a 2 stock jeep shackles and sandwhich the spring between the 2 shackles (runbolts through the shackle holes). Kinda like a giant spring clip. The springs still flex awesome and work great since I have done that. It did stretch my jeep out to almost 100" but the springs need another military wrap from the factory to make them last. been running them for a almost a year now that way
jim
My buddy has a pair mounted SOA on the front of his Scout and had the same problems. He made a spring clamp out of 4x4 plate and that seamed to fix (band aid) the problem.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Uh oh. You guys are making me worry. I have a set on the front of my CJ with the shackles reversed with SOA. I haven't had any issues yet with breakage. Are the ones breaking the springs running reversed shackles? Where are the springs bending/breaking? On the main eye or the pivoting end? I can see where they may a potential issue when climbing over something and the front axle tries to walk out from underneath the frame, bending the main leafs in the process.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My shackles are in front. Mine bent the main leaf, about 4" away from the fixed hangar. Happened when driving into a ravine, my fix was some cheap (but fairly beefy) spring clamps from AutoZone.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I bent two sets like stated above. 90 right at the back hard mount. A shakle reversal will solve my problems.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so is anyone having these problems with a SRS? I'm alreay SRS so it'd be kewl if it fixed it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Rubicrawler said:
My buddy has a pair mounted SOA on the front of his Scout and had the same problems. He made a spring clamp out of 4x4 plate and that seamed to fix (band aid) the problem.
Me...

My shackles are in the front and so I have the same problem. The mainleaf bends at the rear. Like Mark said though... I put some clamps on the main and second leaf and all is good. I still love these springs!

You can see the clamp in this pic...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've had them on my toy buggy for a couple years with zero problems. A buddy of mine recently put them on his 82 yota and bent a main leaf on his second run. His setup is exactly like mine so maybe I got lucky or maybe they've changed materials or spring rates?

After hearing all this I wouldn't buy them again. Maybe have a custom pack built by alcan.

·
Registered
859 Posts
My wheeling buddy runs 4404s in the front. its a YJ with a 44 in the front sprung over on 35s. He has gone through so many of those springs he has them put a double military wrap in them before he gets them and he still breaks them often. he carries spares. I wish i had a picture of the pile of broken springs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Had this same problem in 2 rig at the same time on the con a few weeks ago. In soup bent a set on my rig and a set on a runner. Both 44044's. They could not take the pull of axle when it came forward over the ledge and the bent, pulled axle forward and dislodged driveline. I plan on making these plates that are talked about above to fix the problem.

Sam

·
Registered
697 Posts
Save your money and have Alcan or someone make you a military wrapped set. I have been running them for almost 2 years in the front with the shackle forward and reversed as well as in the rear and have bent at least a dozen of them. The only reason I kept using them was the shop I got them from would warranty them. No longer though.

They do perform well. If you want them to last you must limit the range your shackle can swing. That will take some of the load off the main leaf when you put you wheel into an imovable object. Or use the straps/clamps on the main and second leaf to spread the load between the two.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Man Nate I have had no problems with mine (knock on wood). I have been running them for two years now and I beat the crap out of my truck.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
My Wrangler Pro Comps bend like this on the front of my Toyota. Can't believe I have not broken a set yet. Plus for the most part they flex back and only get bent and dearched regularly in other areas. I have permanently dearched a set in as little as 2 hours jumping in the dunes or a few big jumps at a Tough Truck event!

·
Registered
117 Posts
If anyone has a more clear picture of the clamps and or placement, could they post it please? I am in the middle of a build up using these on the front of my CJ and would like to try to prevent damage now if posible.
thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
mine are bent. i think they are junk. no flex and i really dont want to pull a leaf out, i think this will just make them bend ever easier. when i get the cash im going to alcans. they atleast have a warrenty with them. so i can brake them all day and just send them back and get new ones. just my .02

1 - 20 of 35 Posts