Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the midst of all these rebuilds i was able to make it to Springfield, Mo to check up on Derek West and his rebuild for the 2012 season. On this weekend he was picking up the original chassis from powder coat and working on building a new fuel cell. On his prior fuel cell it was steel and they had used cardboard to space the bladder up to be able meet flush with the top of the metal cell. Over time the cardboard wore down and all the races, mud, and moisture the the bladder began to pull the top of the tank con-caved. In turn allowing more moisture to drip into the exterior tank allowing for rust. Derek Decided to have Advance Metal Fabrications Construct a fuel cell out of aluminum. We used coragated plastic to space the bladder where we needed it so no more con-caved top and also so there was no interference with the Rivets or seams from constructing the cell. I made a small time lapse video of the construction and I am also posting a photo of the prior fuel cell. Enjoy.

I am sure Derek can elaborate on the specifics of this build. Direct any questions you have to him. I just hold shit like the camera!:flipoff2:

Here is the coragated Plastic we used.

Finished Product

And the Video
Fuel Cell Build. - YouTube

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was purely entertained by the music! Dam you guys work fast:D

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had rusty water that kept coming out of the fuel cell area during this year after washing. I thought the cell had rubbed through the powder coat and the fuel cell bracket was rusting. After taking the cell apart to inspect things I discovered that the inside of my can was bare metal and had cardboard on the bottom. I had never thought about this. It was so far gone (after one season) that I decided to invest in something else instead of messing with the rusted one. I used the plastic in the bottom and sides instead of the cardboard and put some small weep holes in the bottom to let the water out. The cell I had was meant to be in the trunk of a car and not in the elements like I was using it. If you have a new one make sure to take it apart and paint/line the inside of the can and you will not have this problem.

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a friend that has one, I just dont rivet much.

By the way thanks for the steering fluid last year, oh and the mention in your write up.:flipoff2:

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
I have a friend that has one, I just dont rivet much.

By the way thanks for the steering fluid last year, oh and the mention in your write up.:flipoff2:
No problem. You owe me a bud light :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts