Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my full width project today on my 89 XJ, HP d-44 and 9",39" Irok's,5:38's, .120 wall drivelines, Moser alloys all the way around, CTM's up front, a Spool and Detroit, Hi-steer when my play $$ fund gets back up to par in Jan :D
The 9" almost done, Is there anything I should watchout for up front?
I'll be running the ford radius arms, wj 4.5 front coils on a 3" platform
and Adj. track bar. It seems like it will be pretty easy except the whole welding to cast deal, which won't be to hard either :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speak to me man......
I've run Mosers in my old car 10:50's at 142
I have them now (over a year) in the 9" on the Cherokee with no problems.
I'm also checking out the Superior, they have a new process on making axles
They are supposed to be strong but not brittle.
I'm always open to input about products from true wheelers

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Keith Strong said:
Next time know who you are talking to.

BTW, Sean.....you're :rainbow: Get back to work on that 350 :flipoff2:
'sOK, I know lee and he REALLY needs to build his junk better. The 350 is in, just need to hook up the PS, fuel, electrical, exhaust. I wish I knew what needed to be hooked back up to the tranny, but my helper bitch didn't take any notes (ahem STRONG)

SeanP

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Not much at all man....I will try and come over tonight or tomorrow and finish your work up for you :flipoff2: Just dont have a damn Jeep in my way this time :p ;)

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Sean, you're just bitter cause you won't have the biggest XJ in NORCAL anymore :flipoff2:

Lee, why 39s? that would be pushing the limits of your axles even with alloys, and with 36" IROKs or 37" Krawlers Fordyce and Rubicon would still be PLENTY easy. what are you doing for unibody reinforcement? consider it a MUST with all that weight under the chassis.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BrettM said:
Sean, you're just bitter cause you won't have the biggest XJ in NORCAL anymore :flipoff2:

Lee, why 39s? that would be pushing the limits of your axles even with alloys, and with 36" IROKs or 37" Krawlers Fordyce and Rubicon would still be PLENTY easy. what are you doing for unibody reinforcement? consider it a MUST with all that weight under the chassis.
I'll be doing lots of reinforcement :D. My tire size has also dropped down to 37's. I'm thinking about going with chevy leafs from a Suburban instead of Xj springs. I don't like the idea of mounting them under the frame so I'll move the mounts and run a longer shackle....Maybe :confused:
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
So you don't have the tires yet? What else don't you have. Is this like the people who have a bunch of crap in their sig that they are planning to do? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
53's won't be much of an improvement on an XJ. 65's is what you what. IIRC crash has some longer springs on Princess II.

seanP

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lee, glad to see you're not going with the 39's. Running trails without breaking is much more fun, and you just don't need that much tire. Should have a nice set of axles under the XJ when you get finished.

If you're spending the $$ on alloy front shafts, I think the Superiors are the best way to go.....better than Moser's. As you saw on Fordyce, chrmo axles can still break with 37's. :smokin:

I'm running Chevy 1/2 ton leaves in the back of mine, but with a 57" Commanche main leaf. It was pretty simple to make a new spring hanger forward of the stock location, but still next to the frame rather than under it. I used an adjustable front spring hanger used on circle track cars to control anti-squat, but I mounted it horizontally under the floor, and with 5 or 6 holes in it you have some adjustment in the front spring mounting location. I picked them up from Victory Circle for $15. I know you can fab some, but for $15 it's not worth it. The Chevy leaves still weren't enough, so I added a few more leaves from my old spring pack. I think I ended up with 8-9 leaves and it's still real soft, partly because of the full length liners. The Suburban leaves should be a good place to start, and consider going longer than the XJ springs.....it's not very hard to do.

Good luck getting everything together,

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
i would definitely go with MJ leafs, I very occasionally hit my springs, but 63" chevy's would be too much in my opinion. I think 56-58" is ideal, go to Pick N Pull and maybe there are some other vehicles with good springs in that range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts