Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but not quite with the same variables I have. First off got my wheeler with a 454 carbed edelbrock intake, headers, r cam, the usual, with about 60000 on it. Week ago just wrecked my 2003 2500 gmc with a 6.0 vortec. Only have liability and would cost more than its worth to fix so the question is with money aside would you rather have the 454 and throw tbi at it or swap in the 6.0? Keep in mind my rig is about 6000 pounds it'll be backed by a th400 and 203/205

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I would much rather have the 6.0 myself. Convert it to a carburetor with a stand alone ignition by MSD. Everything about the 6.0l is better. They use o-rings instead of gaskets so they dont leak. Camshaft swaps dont involve removing the intake manifold or even pulling the rocker and pushrods out. With a simple cam swap, these engines with a carb put out well over 400hp on the stock internals. The bottom ends have been proven to withstand 1000 hp. All and all, you can get VERY similar power numbers from the 6.0 as the 454. Only with the 6.0, you get 12 mpg instead of 4.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to get away from a carberator because of the problems on angles I don't see a lot of mud bogging it's mostly steep hills and some rocks where I go play and my Quadra jet is what holds me back in many places

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I would rather have the 6.0, but if the 454 is already in there, and it is a trail only rig, I would keep it. You could easily sell the 6.0 and get enough to put a good FI in there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You could also probably sell the 454 for enough to get a decent harness and tune for the 6.0L

·
Registered
951 Posts
I would rather have the 6.0, but if the 454 is already in there, and it is a trail only rig, I would keep it. You could easily sell the 6.0 and get enough to put a good FI in there.
^This. Yes LS swaps are sweet, but also time consuming unless it's your job to work on your truck. I would keep the 454 and put a FAST or Atomic EFI system on there (one of the self learning systems).

I think the LS's are awesome and obviously better designs then the old blocks, but I really don't like how everybody has started thinking that all the older blocks (including TBI's) are now crap. They are all still good motors.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You could also consider AFI (Affordable Fuel Injection) to put on your 454. It is stock TBI GM stuff and has had good reviews here and on CK5.com. I think a kit is about $1100.
Chevrolet: Affordable Fuel Injection
Not as tune-able as the high end kits, but if your 454 is mild and you don't need all the fancy tuneability and electronics add on capability, this is probably a good bang for your buck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good opinions but like I said in the first post money aside what would you do for best performance and trail reliability? Money isn't as important to me since I already have another truck and most bills paid off

·
4X4 HACK
2,970 Posts
How bad is the 03 truck? Maybe you should build it and have 2 rigs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
^^^What he said.

Make your wrecked truck into a wheeler as well. You said you aren't on a tight budget. Throw some sort of efi on the 454, and a set of axles under the wrecked truck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mostly front end damage and I'd thought about it but I have enough things to work on as it is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts