Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Western Ky

Hog hunting, taking up north on hunting trips, Shoot for fun.

Mainly im a big hog hunter as we are over run in this area and another reason ive got the extra money saved up to build a ar type rifle and this is what i settled on

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I live in Indiana. Deer is why I want one. Thankfully we ain't got hogs here. I tell ya what, the best thing to do if you are capable of assembling it all yourself is get one of the Palmetto State Armory AR15 stripped lowers for $50 when they go on sale, buy a nice trigger kit like a Timmney drop in or a Geissele. There are a few companies that do lower parts kits (LPK's) where you can upgrade your trigger, pistol grip, safety, etc. I'd have to search around again to find them. Look into the Limbsaver snapover recoil pad for the AR style collapseable stock also. This round is similar to 12ga. Ya don't need recoil reduction, but it makes it nicer to shoot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks, ive been on brownells.com looking at the lowers and parts on there, idk how good their rep is but looks decent. Any input on them

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
IDK, I would do a google search for upgraded lower parts kits, you will find something. Look through forum topics. That's how I found em last time. May have been PSA that does it.... http://palmettostatearmory.com/lower-parts-kits.php

If I were gonna buy an LPK, I would want one without the trigger stuff, safety, or pistol grip. There is a specific trigger (Geissele), Safety (Battle Arms Development Ambidextrous Safety Selector), and Grip (Stark) that I like.

I guess I could get the $30 kit PSA sells, and add the other stuff. I was gonna do it piece by piece outta Brownells.

Also, look for the build threads here, like this one: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833934&highlight=ocd

·
Moderhater
23,464 Posts
imma give you the benefit of the doubt you dont know about brownells cause your 18 and prolly never bought anything from them or what-have-you.

in MY experiences, midway offers the best customer service and fastest shipping.
brownells offers good pricing, but shipping sucks, things go on back order, their website BLOWS and most things dont have a pic, or if they do sucks.
if you know what you want, google search and buy accordingly.

palmetto state right now has 49.99 lowers. if you buy a parts kit, you can put it all together (DPMS) for 60 bucks, your gonna need a heavy buffer and spring, figure out what stock you want on it, and the lower is done.

buy it assembled, or build the upper w/ barrel and upper reciever mod. get a bolt that works for it, and slap that shit together son.

imma gonna build an upper for mine, when i get back on my feet and have a normal paycheck.

personally, i bought a DPMS spring and pin set, a gieselle trigger, an ergo grip, a rifle tube, ambi saftey, ambi mag release, big finger bolt latch and an ultra light stock setup.... that way i didnt have extra parts i wasnt gonna use from the full lower parts kit.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
anyone know how to register at http://458socomforums.com/index.php since the register function is off, and all the emails are hidden when you try to contact an administrator?

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
So ive got a sudden urge to build my first ar style gun (18 yrs old, never had one i could legally call my own). I wanna build a 458 but need a shove in the right direction as far as what company to order my upper, lower, etc etc from.

Looked at rock river but theyve got some deal where youve gotta find a rra dealer to buy it.
I would recommend getting a plain bone stock AR to begin with. Believe it or not some folks just dont like the ergonomics of an AR. Doesn't make any sense to go hog wild on your first AR.

Then determine if the 458 is the correct choice for your needs. You also have 300BLK, 50 Beowolf, 450BM. All of which work with your standard AR15 lower. Just buy a complete upper and maybe a magazine and your are good to go.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I would recommend getting a plain bone stock AR to begin with. Believe it or not some folks just dont like the ergonomics of an AR. Doesn't make any sense to go hog wild on your first AR.

Then determine if the 458 is the correct choice for your needs. You also have 300BLK, 50 Beowolf, 450BM. All of which work with your standard AR15 lower. Just buy a complete upper and maybe a magazine and your are good to go.
He already stated he is familiar with the AR platform, just doesn't own any himself.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
He already stated he is familiar with the AR platform, just doesn't own any himself.
he said "he has been around them", but from all of his questions it does not appear that he is really all that "familiar" with them.
I am familiar with Kari Bryon having watched every episode of myth busters multiple times, but that doesn't mean I know for sure how she would react if I tried to stick my dick in her ass.

:flipoff2:

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I am familiar with Kari Bryon having watched every episode of myth busters multiple times, but that doesn't mean I know for sure how she would react if I tried to stick my dick in her ass.

I love how you put this. It's sig worthy. May I?

And for the record, I like to believe she would love every second of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
he said "he has been around them", but from all of his questions it does not appear that he is really all that "familiar" with them.

Very correct i have been around them with my dad but i have always built 1000 yd capable rifles, My very first ar build here

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Starline for the brass, you are going to want to reload. 500, 405g bullets run around $120. Makes a hell of a hog gun but cheap ATN NVD'S suck.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Very correct i have been around them with my dad but i have always built 1000 yd capable rifles, My very first ar build here
And the hits keep coming lol:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Whaaa????

A .308 is a 1000yd capable rifle. (Technically so is a .22). He never said anything about accuracy. :blacktextflipoff2: :blacktextlaughing:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Im going to stop while im ahead, i may be ar iggnorant but im not stupid, ive built several great long range rifles and want to build a ar style gun now. Was just looking for some encouragement here not to get flamed.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts