Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asking questions the last few days about parts from an '89 F-350 for use in my truck.

I thank all for your help.

Now some more. This '89 has a ZF five speed transmission.

Will it bolt up to the 460 I have now? Will the NP205 bolt up to it?

Most importantly, would I want to use it? Good ratio's, strength??

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
424 Posts
The ZF will not bolt up to the 460, you'll have to have an adapter made, same goes for the 205 cause they were never originally bolted together. As for strength I'm not sure. I'd try to find the tranny that came with a 460 in that year or step up and get a NV4500 from Advanced Adapters

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
saber6 said:
The ZF will not bolt up to the 460, you'll have to have an adapter made, same goes for the 205 cause they were never originally bolted together. As for strength I'm not sure. I'd try to find the tranny that came with a 460 in that year or step up and get a NV4500 from Advanced Adapters
There are ZF's that are attached to 460s. The 205 will bolt right to the ZF. Now you may have to cut a notch for the shifter of the 205 to clear the factory adapter.

Now for the tranny, I believe it is almost the bolt pattern. I forget if its the dowl pins or lower bellbolts that moved, or are a slightly diffrent size. Stupid me didn't bother to matchup the bells while I was rebuilding my c6.

The NV4500 has two things better then the ZF, stronger case, and bigger syncos. Eveything thing else goes to the ZF. Leave the NVs for the dodge/chevy guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey E,

You said, "
Eveything thing else goes to the ZF. Leave the NVs for the dodge/chevy guys. "

Does that mean the ZF can be used?

Not really my original plan, but just thinking through which parts of the donor truck may improve my truck.

Mike

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
saber6 said:
The ZF will not bolt up to the 460
This is contrary to what a lot of the diesel guys are doing, tho. The diesel ZF was a close-ratio version, the gas ZF has the 5.71 1st gear. Lots of diesel guys are swapping gas trannies into their rigs... both use the same "tall" pattern, so what's the big deal?

I had somebody tell me not too long ago that the manual trans would swap btn the 460 and 7.3L, but the autos wouldn't?? :confused:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I tried this swap (ZF from '95 PSD to 460 gasser) and the two bolt patterns are quite different. The top 2 bolts match and that is it! Dowels are quite a bit lower on the diesel trans also.

If you are interested I have an NV4500 with AA adapters for the Ford t/case.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Marksman, really can't answer your question about the earlier 7.3's but I would "assume" that they are the same.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Marksman said:

Are the bolt patterns on a 95 PSD the same as the earlier 7.3 diesels?
yep, we swapped a late model 6 speed into a friend's 89 7.3, the 6.9's, 7.3's and strokes all use a SAE standard bellhousing pattern (I believe it's a "B" pattern)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
CrazyHorse said:

yep, we swapped a late model 6 speed into a friend's 89 7.3, the 6.9's, 7.3's and strokes all use a SAE standard bellhousing pattern (I believe it's a "B" pattern)
Is that the block it's self, or the adapter that's bolted to it?

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
I know the c6, at least, was different between the 6.9 and 460 engines, and the 7.3 uses the same block. I would assume that the zf5 would not cross over, but I'm not sure. I do know the diesel version is closer ratio. However, I have a 89 diesel zf5 in the bed of the pickup, so I can measure it, if have the gasser measurement to campare it to.
~JOhn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts