Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 460 that is out of a 78 Lincoln that has low miles what will need to be done to put it in my f100.. i have read that different motor mounts will need to be used but others say different ways.

·
Banned
13,206 Posts
need a little more info there bud. what motor is currently in the f100 and what year is it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can hack up your frame mounts to fit the car mount. Bad idea this will weaken the mount you will also need to do some thing with the exhaust. I have seen way to many cut up hacked up frame rails due to not buying the correct headers or manafolds.

·
Registered
237 Posts
need a little more info there bud. what motor is currently in the f100 and what year is it?
What he said. If it's a 78/79 (maybe even earlier 70s) the frame is the same I think. You would then be able to use some 460 swap mounts right to the stock perches. If not, I have no clue.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thats a fairly easy swap then. The 460 should bolt up to your tranny just fine. I know LMC has engine mount brackets to swap a 460 from a 400 or 351m.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yz360,
Are you sure it is a 400m?
If it is factory it should have a 300, 302, 360 or 390.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes because a 390 360 should have the dis. and thermostat in the intake manifold where my intake does not have that

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
A search should turn up a ton of info since this has been covered pretty good a bunch of times.

In short you will need moor mounts, rear sump oil pan, exhaust manifolds that work or headers(the car manifolds I've seen always dump right on the pass. side frame), if you have a stick trans you will need a flywheel. Remember that there is an internally balanced 460 and an external, is been a while but I'm pretty sure that 78 was the last year of internal balance motors.

Front accessory brackets need some work as well I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Everything he said ^^

I also found this to be quite helpful in getting started with the swap.

All that you will need to know is pretty easy to find on the net once you start searching and reading. If you have some money to toss around and don't want to hassle with junkyard diving L&L does sell kits to drop the motor right in. However they are a lil pricey and as was mentioned their motor mounts aren't the greatest. http://landlproducts.com/list.aspx?cID=1

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
A search should turn up a ton of info since this has been covered pretty good a bunch of times.

In short you will need moor mounts, rear sump oil pan, exhaust manifolds that work or headers(the car manifolds I've seen always dump right on the pass. side frame), if you have a stick trans you will need a flywheel. Remember that there is an internally balanced 460 and an external, is been a while but I'm pretty sure that 78 was the last year of internal balance motors.

Front accessory brackets need some work as well I think.
Yup. If your engine has a hatchet weight behind the harmonic balancer, it's externally balanced. If you're not sure, the block will be marked D9TE.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The motor in my truck seems to sound like it is a 351/400m correct is so it sounds like the broncograveyard ones will work better but this would be using a truck block correct?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The motor in my truck seems to sound like it is a 351/400m correct is so it sounds like the broncograveyard ones will work better but this would be using a truck block correct?
I have no fucking idea what you are trying to say. From what I can correlate from your run-on sentence is this. Yes, bolt the broncograveyard engine mounts onto your 460 and bolt the fucking thing in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
You need to figure out for sure exactly what you have, your cost will climb fast if you have to swap the trans because you didn't know what motor was in there to start with.
A 75 would not have had a 351m/400 stock as far as I know unless they showed up in the f100 way earlier then the other trucks.
Am i using a god damn truck block or a car block. fuck that hard no need to be a dick
What are you talking about car or truck block?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
like the 460 motor mounts from broncograveyard.com . are they to be used on like a lincoln motor or a truck engine. From what i have read and looked up it is a 351/400 the 8 valve cover hold downs, the thermostat des. location

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used a 460 from a 73 Lincoln in my 79 Bronco with a 351m, used the same trans, swapped truck 460 mounts into my frame and use a newer 460 truck oil pan, no big deal. The Hooker headers were a bit pissy and also used a mini starter. Not much compression on a 74 and up 460, what like 8.3 but at least you get more torque and get rid of the modified motor, they are lame.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts