Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright 2 birds with one stone here. First issue, my Centurion is having overheating issues. The problem is this, the truck will overheat when left idling with AC turned on max on hot days when left for 20-30 minutes. As soon as the ac is turned off the overheating stops (temperature doesn't really go down to much until the engine RPMs are raised or one starts driving, but it doesn't get any warmer). On the highway/ driving around with the ac on max, it never gets hotter than the "R" on the temp. gauge (gauge is working properly) and is overwise ok, however I have not towed with the rig. It is basically an 1990 F350 460 4wd, everything runs and drives great.

I have checked and topped off the coolant levels and I have also replaced the clutch fan in the last week, there's nothing blocking the rad other than the oil cooler and condenser, the tranny cooler is still the stock in the rad. cooler. Beyond that the only things I can think of doing would be to flush the coolant system and see if its dirty, then flow test the rad, and possibly pull the cat. off the exhaust in case its plugged. The AC works great if that makes any difference.

Anyone have any possible ideas?

Next issue, on my DD, a 2008 Escape, the AC does not work at all. While the vehicle is running you can turn the ac on/of, but the clutch on the compressor will not engage. So first thing I have checked is to see if the electric's to the clutch are functioning, and everything thing I found was in working order, no blown fuses, everything connected, check the connection with a test light and everything checked out. I then took it to the ford stealership for an inspection, and they told me the condenser was plugged, and possibly the entire system is screwed and will need rebuilt and that it was not uncommon.

So my questions, with a plugged condenser, will this cause the compressor not to engage? Can the condenser be removed, cleaned/unplugged (or am I better to find a replacement)? Or am I SOL and will have to rebuild the entire system.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Um... Don't idle your vehicle for 30 minutes on a hot day with the A/C on. You're welcome.

On the other vehicle. Does it have a proper charge of refrigerant? If it is low the pressure switch on the system will not let the A/C clutch kick on.

Wow. Is it Tuesday already? :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ever get stuck in traffic? will cause the same issue, so you sir can go :flipoff2: your hat (truck never had problems prior to this summer). And yes it is Tuesday, and yes the charge was confirmed good by the stealership.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Ever get stuck in traffic? will cause the same issue, so you sir can go :flipoff2: your hat (truck never had problems prior to this summer). And yes it is Tuesday, and yes the charge was confirmed good by the stealership.
:laughing:

Actually no I don't ever have to deal with traffic. I live in the buttfuck middle of no-where. Traffic is having to go around two tractors and a car in a 15 mile drive. :D

Not sure on the plugged condenser then. I just figured you might as well make sure it has a charge before going chasing your tail. I would still throw a set of gauges on there and confirm... We all know how dealerships can be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Unplug the hi/lo PSI switch and put a jumper wire in this plug to by pass the system switch and see if the compressor clutch kicks on or clicks.. I use a unfolded paper clip bent into a U shape. A Low charge keeps this from letting it come on.
A plugged condenser should still kick on & then go off when psi is to high..
Click and go off again..

Orich

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
For the C verify that the fan clutch is engaging while running when temps get excessive, you said it was replaced but didn't say it worked. Also check thermostat, may not be opening fully.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the fan clutch is working (working better than before), can hear and feel & see it engaged. Good idea on the t-stat.

Thanks.

Anyone have anything else on the escape?

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
centurion got a fan shroud, right? And the condensor is sealed to the rad so that the air doesn't just come around the condenser?

had an acura mdx come in complaint; ac warms up while sitting
look at the condensor and it is sitting 3" away from the radiator, the only fans were on the other side of the rad. Not even a piece of foam to make sure the air goes through the condensor and not around it. Of course it isn't going to get any air flow from that.
I offered to rig up a shroud, but they declined.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Plugged cond will raise the pressures on the high side and shut down the comp. I've seen of few os these the accumulator comes apart and fills the sytem full of desicant material.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts