Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal...

I got this tow rig ive been tryin to sell with no luck..I got this 85 runner with a true but tired motor. I was thinkin of guttin my 88 F250 4x4 and squeezin it in this runner. The search i did came back with shakers rig but it isnt very detailed on the swap. Any one else done it?? FLAME ON!:beer:

thx for lookin

·
Registered
653 Posts
A 460 is an absolutely huge engine. Gonna be a very tight fit, if it even fits at all. Best bet would be to remove all the sheetmetal forward of the windshield, set the motor on the (reinforced) frame, and put back what sheetmetal you can (if you want to).

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya that sucker is huge!!! Im just tired of trying to sell the damn thing so now im in serious scheme mode! :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
When I rebuilt my 460 for the tow rig I had it on the hoist in front of my toy. Thought about it for a few seconds, but that thing is a little too heavy for my tastes. Truck would probably flip over frontwards when you set the motor down :flipoff2:

I think if you hammer the shit out of the firewall with a 2" body lift, and generous removal of the inner fenders it should fit as good as a BBF was ever ment to fit. Steering colum might be a a little in the way though...

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I think by the time you bug around tearing apart your Toy to get that motor in, you'll probably wish you just left it in the Ford, You could easily add a D-60 Front, and swap a Toy cab onto the truck frame. Alot easier, and faster, plus then you leave all the heavy duty components where they belong, in a heavy duty frame.

That's what I'd do, well, I'd use a Samurai body, but you get the point.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Shaker did a big block Chevy in a toy, and said something about having to cut the firewall on the passenger side, or something to that nature. Not sure the differences between BBC and BBF, but if a Chev will go in, you can get a Ford in there. Would most likely be a first! Wait and see what Shaker says.... Gonna need rear radiator for sure and at least some 60's. Don't forget the pics if you go through with this!

Edit: I recall a post on here a long time ago about a Mopar 440 in a Toy as well, not many details on it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for your replies... The moter is a fresh rebuild and fool injected:D I hate to it just sit there...

Been out there doin some measuring.. would be a damn snug fit!

What samurai said aint a bad thaught either...thx

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
You do it like we used to do when we put big Olds engines with Hydros into model A's and T's, You cut the whole damn firewall out, most of the floor pan, mount the engine and running gear, then fab up a new firewall and floor pan. Don't forget to beef the crap out of the frame also and figure out what you are going to use for springs.:D Yes it can be done with a lot of work!!!:D

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
In order to keep a good weight balance with an engine that weighs a ASSLOAD, you'd have to move it back into the cab more, which would mean- Getting rid of firewall (and placing about a foot back)- Moving back cab (or having one hell of a heater :laughing: Of course its possible, $$$ will do anything. Were you planning on swapping the running gear off that truck too? Cause a 3.85" stroke and a ton of cubes will snap shit like there is no tommorow.

I've always wanted to use a 400M, can anyone say 4" stock stroke? :eek:

Dave

·
Registered
695 Posts
There is a guy who runs a 460 in his '85 Toy at the local mudbogs. The truck is suitable for only that though. Its chopped all to hell.

But damn does it make that little truck fly!!!!

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
I've seen 460s in Toys and Sammis. Hey, it's Michigan mudboggin.

So for streetability, who knows. I can't remember anyone specific I've seen it enough times.

I think I know more people with 460s than BBCs. Maybe it's cause I don't notice the BBCs anymore.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
With the power and torque of a 460 you will need a bigger tranny and axle under the toyota so I think the best bet ( assuming the running gear under the ford is in good condition) is to just swap the cab of the 4runner on the ford or just buggy the ford and then tweak the suspension to get it a bit flexier.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think im gonna set the body on the f250 frame. Probaly shorten it to the 4 runner wheelbase. Then basically all i need to do is ditch the TTB front end for a kingpin 60 with 4:11's. Then ya bettter back the fawk up!! LOL ;)

what yaw think? Im startin to get a mental picture here!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think that using the 4runner body on the truck frame would be best, I have a semi built 460 in my 83 bronco 1/2 ton I have had to weld the frame a couple of times. :D

·
Registered
11,315 Posts
Hum...

In a for sale post I remember seeing someone who'd added a few inches to the toy frame/body.

I guess if you really wanted to, nothing is impossible. Of course you'd have to take the entire drive train off the donor rig. The toy axles might hold for a while but a good romp on the throttle would fix that.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It is also guna look funny driveshaft comming out of the drivers side of the transfercase and crossing over to the passenger side to meet up with the toy front:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dirtdragon said:
It is also guna look funny driveshaft comming out of the drivers side of the transfercase and crossing over to the passenger side to meet up with the toy front:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
\

Well. If you could of read my post correctly the runner body will be on the 250 body and using......... pfft nevermind...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Dirtdragon said:
Why would you want to try and keep the Toy axles with a big block anyways!? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Let me know how things work out for ya. I am going to be starting a project that is close in nature. Diffrence is that I will be starting with a Bronco frame, 429 TJ, c6, 203/205, toped with an 87 4runner body. Nice thing about the bronco frame is that the wheel base is within a couple inches. I have everything here to do it, just need to get a few things out of the way first, jeep and other 4runner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts