Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebiulding a 46RE and adjusted rear band tighten to 72in.lbs. back off 2 turns still dragging .Retightend to 72in.lbs. backed off 3-1/2 turns and its released enough to wiggle band sligtly lever only moves 3/16 in from reverse servo.
Should tbe rear band lever move 1/4in.?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Marty ,
In that article baxy (R.I.P.) says 3/8in. lever movement on reverse lever at rear servo, and 1/4in. On front servo. Other Transtech instructions say 3/8in. play in lever at Front servo so baxy might have mixed up the two specs .
I have 3/16in play on lever at reverse servo now after backing off 3 and 1/2 turns.
I also put in a K029 Superior Reverse servo . The original aluminum servo pin was cracked at flange holding smaller spring . I think cracked pin was caused by the back off 2 turns spec being way too tight and over compressing the pin coil spring (maybee coil bind) so the lever over stressed aluminum pin flange holding smaller spring.
The trans was compleatly stock with stock pressure.
46RE= 2 turns for reverse, 47RE = 3 turns 44RE says back off 4 turns so there must be differant reverse band lever ratios or something.
This 99 2500 Gas 5.9V8 was special order with HD package and the 1 Ton PTO transfercase. So Im just thinking maybee the lever ratio or something is differant ?
Or factory 46RE specs for reverse were another goof up ? The first band adjustment the rear band was alot tighter with 2 turn backed off I remember thinking how odd that seemed. The old band still has about 75% friction material on it after 165000miles but since I had it appart I put in new one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did find a good tool to adjust band screws with.
My 46RE band (internal rear band screw) adjustment lock nut is 11/16in. The screw is 5/16in square . Use a 5/16in. 8-POINT 1/4dr. Socket with 3in. 1/4dr extension on a 1/4in. dr. Small breaker bar to turn adjusting screw and count turns backed off .
I used a 11/16in PASS THROUGH Ratchet Socket and Through extension to tighten lock nut wiile holding 8pt. Socket wth 3 in. 1/4 dr. extension going through the through socket and through extension and through ratchet.
My 8pt. Socket came in a realy cheap
1/4 -3/8 drive socket set .
My Pass Through Ratchet socket set is a Craftsman but even Harbor Freight has them mine is a 6pt set but since it slips compleatly over the locking nut a 12pt 11/16in Through socket should grip.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a Snap On 5/16" Square 3/8 drive socket I use for the band adjuster. ( It also fits some of the square headed pipe plugs used in old WW2 jeep flatheads that I work on). I use a box wrench to tighten the adjuster nut while holding the adjuster with the socket. It's not a super critical adjustment.

The 44, 47 and 48 RE transmissions use the HD split bands which would account for the different band adjustment.

Once you get the trans in and running, it might be a good idea to re-adjust the bands after a few hundred miles, you might be able to get it closer to the two turn spec. after it's seated in.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Man you guys are a couple of trans gurus.

Marty, whereabout are you? I got a 46re that Ill gladly pay you to troubleshoot. I dont suppose you arr Martin Saine from msaine transmissions??

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nope, not me, I'm in the "OC" in SoCal, used to work as a Chrysler "Master tech" at HB Jeep for 18 years. Now working in fleet maintenance.

The old Torqueflites are about the easiest auto transmissions to rebuild.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Unfortunately no :(
well rats. Any place youd recommend? Theres a reputable builder about 100 miles east, $2500 for a built trans for 750hp. Or I can look into swapping an nv3500/3550 for much cheaper, but not sure it would live behind a 5.9(gas).

Theres a shop in bakersfield that seems to have decent reviews, 1100 or 1200 I believe, which I also considered.

Not doing it myself. Dont have the skills, patience, or energy to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts