Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
472 Caddy....Fuel Injected....using 454 TBI comp and harness...........>>>>>>>>>>

Well after getting a full year of some great wheeling this year...I really started to push the limits of the carb. The limits pushed started to cause some un-not-so-nice sensations in seat cushion sucking...

So after doing some research on CID sizes and what will be a "bolt-on"...and after speaking with some other Pirate4x4.com forum members...I have decided to take the challenge of fuel injecting my motor.

I will be removing the following:::

Quadrajet (with tweaks)
Napa/Mr. Gasket adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Inline electric fuel pump 4-9 psi

I will be replacing it with the following:::

454 TBI unit
454 one ton computer and harness (do not know if there is a different chip burn)
HEI distributor
Some kind of HIGH PRESSURE inline fuel pump (Caddy has more compression and HP than 454)

454 TBI unit:::

Standard "7747" computer from running 454 one ton:::

Scary vooodoooo magic box:::

Mother of God that is an intimidating pile of shit...good thing I am single:::

TBI to Quadra-Jet adapter...the 454 TBI unit is huge:::

I am hoping to get started on the harness modifications in the next couple of weeks. By then I should have my research done on what pump I am going to run for sure.

Little nervous leaving the land of simplicity...the one that just uses gas and spark with a little bit of vacuum...

I will be updating this thread with tech when I cover some ground.

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
keep up the tech :grinpimp: I am looking to swap in a 454 TBI in my tow rig.

·
Registered
496 Posts
One probelem you may come to is the HEI. I have had to grind some intake away for the Vac advance to clear in order to time it. This may be something you already have come accross.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Karma said:
One probelem you may come to is the HEI. I have had to grind some intake away for the Vac advance to clear in order to time it. This may be something you already have come accross.
If he goes computer controlled timing then there will be no vacuum advance. I've found a shop in Nevada for converting a stock Holley distributor to computer controlled HEI for a decent price. Soon as I get a distributor back from them and cost I'll post up.
________
AVANDIA SETTLEMENTS

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
You don't really need a HIGH pressure fuel pump. TBI's only use about 14 psi.

·
Registered
863 Posts
SWEET, HOS! Almost exactly a year ago I was where you are. My brother did his darndest to talk me into it for a long time. I thought, " but everything WORKS now, just not great".
I went to a modern dist. so the ECM could control the timing. I made the adapter plate, adapted the neccesary sensors, Ford inline fuel pump, fuel return line, upgrade fuel lines, mount ECM, brother modified harness. Then a call to Norm for a chip. Works SWEET! Probably the best upgrade I've done in a long time.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I'm in the process of installing my AFI setup now. Projection should be for sale here soon.:smokin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rock Tractor - I saw 4 454 TBIs on ebay just now. It's rare that so many 454 units are on ebay at the same time. Make sure you confirm with the seller that the injectors have the correct 454 codes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I picked up a 454 tbi considering doing the same to my 472. My engine isn't stock however and the tbi wouldn't have fed it. Some info: http://www.tbichips.com/454ss.htm.
I have the same factory adapter as you and a edelbrock manifold. It didn't look like it was going to seal well so I was thinking of having the adapter welded and resurfaced to enlarge the sealing area. You could get an aftermarket adapter but the factory one looks well made as far as the transition goes, probably worth the trouble to keep it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Bring the tech HOS!

This may be the next upgrade come this spring for the T-all.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Harvester of Sorrow said:
Mother of God that is an intimidating pile of shit...good thing I am single:::
hahahaha...

HOS is all about the tech with comic relief. This project looks awesome, I can't wait to see how it goes.

Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just completed this conversion on my 392, turned the key, cranked it over 4 times and it started!!!!! Thats right! Started and ran great on the first try. (unreal after having to hook up all those wires) It runs better than it ever did with a carb. I like to run it with the air cleaner off, so cool to watch the fuel spray in! Just wanted to let people know you can do the conversion without problems.:D Hank.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
TBI is the best move you could have made :smokin:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts