Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the retro wheeling movement gaining steam I went to check out a rig parked in the boonies for the last couple months in front of a farm house..... '48 CJ2a OD green and looking in decent shape from the road. Originally it had a $3600 sticker on it and I figured for that much it would drive home but here's what I found....

That flatty has some carb'd V6 swapped in with what I believe is a TF727 auto (will that bolt to the D18?), B&M quick shift, stock D18 t-case w/ rear PTO winch still there. Power brakes with 4 wheel discs are on it along with power steering (and a power steering box dropped 5" off the frame to make up for the SOA :shaking: ). The ground hawgs are 36s but rotted/bald/flat so they need replaced.

Now here's the low down on condiditon- no seats, no seat mounts, no battery, no gas tank, swapped tailgate (no "Willys"), rusted out rotors, no carb, motor isn't running now but looks clean, tranny condition unknown, frame has had some cracks welded up, all bushings are shot, there is a chain from the frame to the top of the driver side on the motor obviously for when it torques so the mounts must be shot (but are still there), some rust but mostly cosmetic.

There was a lot more than I expected but at the same time quite a few more unknowns. I understand dude must have put a lot of work into this at some time but really it's not in good shape as it sits. He had also removed the sign asking for $3600 so my guess is he knows he won't get that much. What do you think is fair to offer???? I'm really lost on this and was thinking $2K until I went over it yesterday. It will take a lot of work to get it up to speed.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I wouldn't pay $500 for one in that shape. Sounds like the frame is junk and has had stuff welded all over it. Just a guess, but it's probabally a Buick 225 with a TH400. A 727 wouldn't be a "normal setup" for a D18 or D20.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oldjeep said:
I wouldn't pay $500 for one in that shape. Sounds like the frame is junk and has had stuff welded all over it. Just a guess, but it's probabally a Buick 225 with a TH400. A 727 wouldn't be a "normal setup" for a D18 or D20.
Thanks!!! I don't know shit for motors but I'll check it for the TH400. Honestly I was thinking of offering only a couple hundred cash plus I'd haul it away for him :D

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
If it's a buick V6, the distributor will be on the drivers side front of the motor. That is the most common swap into older flatfenders, the 225/ TH400 came stock in commandos with a D20 tcase and I've seen a few people swap the entire drivetrain into flatfenders.

You didn't say what axles it had? Were they stock or something else? Stock would be a closed knuckle D25 front with a 2 piece shaft D44 in the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oldjeep said:

You didn't say what axles it had? Were they stock or something else? Stock would be a closed knuckle D25 front with a 2 piece shaft D44 in the rear.
The front is a closed knuckle 25 and the rear was offset and looked like a D44, but I thought it was called a 41-2 or something. Either way it was semi-float and stock except for the disc brakes. There were extra front shafts and the original drums laying in the bed, shit those u-joints are tiny.

When approaching him about this and obviously low balling the bejesus out of him I'm expecting the "It's classic" and "Look at all the work I've done to it" but really it needs quite a bit of TLC so I figure I'll just point out everything wrong with it :D

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
That would be a Dana 41 - same shafts as a 3 piece D44, lemon shaped cover. They are suprisingly strong, I'm still running one in my 46 - until I have the cash to buy the shafts for my 60.

The D25 housings tend to bend and pull the tube out of the long side especially with bigger tires. I bent 2 of them into smiley faces before switching to a front D44.

The disc brake conversion is pretty common, I documented it on my site about 5 years ago - but I got the idea from someone else.

And it ain't a classic anymore - there is no way it could be restored back to original form unless you rob a bank;)

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Payed $500 for a stock, except for the F-head, 47 that was running, driving, and I even plowed some snow with it.

Dropped $400 on a stock '46 with a bad tranny and shot steering (go figure) the L runs great, and it came with a plow that I sold to a Cruiser Clown for $250:D

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LAME said:
Payed $500 for a stock, except for the F-head, 47 that was running, driving, and I even plowed some snow with it.

Dropped $400 on a stock '46 with a bad tranny and shot steering (go figure) the L runs great, and it came with a plow that I sold to a Cruiser Clown for $250:D
I've got $375 in my wallet right now and I might just have to see if the dude wants it out of the yard today :D

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
bigdude said:

I've got $375 in my wallet right now and I might just have to see if the dude wants it out of the yard today :D
Yer just itching for a rig that's got a body again :flipoff2: Actually an old willys could be a lot of fun to own.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
bigdude said:

Must be nice to actually be short enough to fit in one of those things. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IndyCJ said:

Must be nice to actually be short enough to fit in one of those things. :flipoff2:
I'm buying it for a single seater legends rig :flipoff2:

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you've got $375 offer him $200 thats about all it sounds like it's worth.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So what's a decent one worth? I am eyeing this 45' column shift 2A.:smokin: Runs, frame excellent, salvageable tub and all original complete. I am thinking of offering the equivalent of about $1200 US. That sound reasonable to you guys?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Rebel GP said:
So what's a decent one worth? I am eyeing this 45' column shift 2A.:smokin: Runs, frame excellent, salvageable tub and all original complete. I am thinking of offering the equivalent of about $1200 US. That sound reasonable to you guys?
To a collector type, that one might be worth upwards of $3000 -$5000 depending on how much someone wants it.

I hope you are not planning on making a rockcrawler out of a Willys that is in that condition.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nah, keeping it original. It will take a complete frame up but she'll be a beauty after that. It has the 23-2 so I know it is an early S/N. Gonna keep around for booting around town, picking up supplies like in the early days. It's gonna be a fun project.

·
Registered
30 Posts
THE PARTS ARE WORTH MORE THAN THE WHOLE ITEM. CHECK OUT THE PARTS PIECES. THE FRAME SOUNDS LIKE JUNK.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Rebel GP...all column shift 2a's are early production. Highly prized by collectors.

Next time you eye it up...look for brass plates on hood/windshield that say JEEP...if they exist pay whatever you have to and buy that Jeep on the spot. I'v been hoping to come across a Willy's CJ-2 "AgriJeep" for years....

BigDude...get it yet?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Just for a little price comparison......

There is a 47 M38(?) at Capitol Jeepers Supply, for $500. F head engine. No seats, no top. Frame ok. Registration is three years old.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Must be nice to actually be short enough to fit in one of those things.
Im 6'4 200 pounds and fit in my 46 no problems...took a lot of work to get it like that but I didnt extend the body cuz then my top wouldnt fit...my sister lives in Indy..if you ever get one you could take a look at it sometime....

Bid dude....

You would have to do so much work to that thing it would not be worth it.

You would want to start over with the frame and build your own...easy to do stock dimensions because the frames are straight rail frames...helps flex in the rear as well.

If the body is in good shape offer a few hundred...if not look for a body and build your own frame..it would actually be easier then trying to fix and beef the willys frame..I know

1 - 20 of 21 Posts