Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some part numbers for the adapter plate and bellhousings that would make these two mat-up finally. Currently emailing back-n-forth with South Bends on which of there clutch setup would be best for the HP and tire size. So I'll probably be getting one of there kits that comes with the fly wheel as well just cause i have a flex plate for the 4bt as that's what it came with form its previous application. But if I can get away with a Cummins flywheel let me know cause there's one on craigs down the street from me for a hundo.

I know that the input shaft on the tranny will need to be swapped for a dodge one as well as the front bearing retainer getting machined or replaced with the dodge retainer, in order for the correct length in the shaft to be compatible with the clutch. Also I know it will have to be a dodge bell housing.

Mainly looking for casting and or part numbers for these items as ebay has a handful that are decently priced currnetly.

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
Get what ever a 4bt had for a flywheel and clutch that would fit the gm sm 465 setup. Then use a nv bellhousing and trans.

Idk if you can make a 92-95 gm nv fit with a 1.25" input.

Its a matter of how much money you want to spend. The oe gm is tilted 10*. But for $1000 you can get a billt adapter that would put it straight up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your nv4500 needs to have a 5.61 first gear ratio in order to accept the dodge input shaft.
If I remember correctly the early gm trans also has a different bolt pattern and won’t bolt up to the dodge bell housing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get what ever a 4bt had for a flywheel and clutch that would fit the gm sm 465 setup. Then use a nv bellhousing and trans.

Idk if you can make a 92-95 gm nv fit with a 1.25" input.

Its a matter of how much money you want to spend. The oe gm is tilted 10*. But for $1000 you can get a billt adapter that would put it straight up.
Not worried if the tranny is clocked but I dont thin k it will be in my setup. It has been done, the 94 nv4500 bolted up to a dodge bell housing just on the tranny side it doesn't have one of the holes drilled out on one of the ears and the input shaft and bearing retainer need to be swapped. Not all too sure about the whole SM465 route though, unless you can further explain.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your nv4500 needs to have a 5.61 first gear ratio in order to accept the dodge input shaft.
If I remember correctly the early gm trans also has a different bolt pattern and won’t bolt up to the dodge bell housing.
Have been under the impression after all my homework that the input shaft gets swapped for a the dodge one and the shaft portion inside the case is identical so the gears and synchro's all go right back on.

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
Gm nv are 1.125 10 spl.
92-94 are virtualy interchangeable with a sm465. Same input,pilot bore and nearly the same bolt pattern.
95 is the first year with the 5.61 gear and large pilot bore. But old bolt pattern.
96+ are the same as dodge and can be input swapped to the 1.25 input and will bolt to the dodge bell. Its how my 12v is setup.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gm nv are 1.125 10 spl.
92-94 are virtualy interchangeable with a sm465. Same input,pilot bore and nearly the same bolt pattern.
95 is the first year with the 5.61 gear and large pilot bore. But old bolt pattern.
96+ are the same as dodge and can be input swapped to the 1.25 input and will bolt to the dodge bell. Its how my 12v is setup.
Soooo in therory then a 96+ dodge bell housing as well as swapping the input shaft for a 96+ dodge shaft would do the trick then right? As well as a dodge input bearing retainer with some very mild machining to the bolt holes and overall diameter of the collar portion would make it work.

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
No.

If you had a 96+ gm nv yes

You have an early nv. Different everything.

How ever there was a guy here that had some variant early gm nv and was a le to do it but it was a special version requiering a full tear down and a +50% new replacement

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
4bt were routinely paired with gm 465 th400 ford t18/435 clark/spicer 5spds.

The 465 setup is common cheap and easy to build. What you want can be done with out modifing anything.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well been hunting around for bolt pattern diagrams, mainly trying to find what the pattern is on the back side of the 94-02 dodge bell housings. I have the bolt pattern for the 94 GM NV4500, still trying to find the pattern on the engine adapter plate for where the bell housing mounts too, I have the engine side mounting plate dimensions which are correct. With the 94-02 dodge bell housing I believe with simply drilling the two bottom holes out on the GM NV4500 tranny which has two sets of ears that are not drilled or tapped on the bottom portion of its casing. Drill them two out to match the Dodge bell housing holes and then swap the input shaft for the same years dodge as well as the bearing retainer. Then I should be able to run the standard dodge clutch assembly as well.

As for the bell housing to the 4bt I now the 94-02 bell housings where factory mounted with the cummins 3923045 adapter plate off the engine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You seem bound and determined to not understand that its not going to work that way.

But you do you and do t say i did t tell you cause i did. Twice.
I understand wanting to keep the nv4500 but he’s determined to ignore the input shaft problem...... should be a 4bt for sale when this whole thing goes sideways :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
This isnt alot of good if you are building a plate to adapt as it does not mention distance from top hole to centerline or bottom hole to centerline.

Shows SAE 3 bellhousing, were you looking for that item ?
Maybe just need one for the early NV4500 ?
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ndzis1y4lasqm_lffmCcjxILhihdNexdqjLOV2ttoE5p5zuaS9w3U8PZI8tsHLi21rBjgaI9SfIC69EJR5k5VAGCtF9cHg

Well been hunting around for bolt pattern diagrams, mainly trying to find what the pattern is on the back side of the 94-02 dodge bell housings. I have the bolt pattern for the 94 GM NV4500, still trying to find the pattern on the engine adapter plate for where the bell housing mounts too, I have the engine side mounting plate dimensions which are correct. With the 94-02 dodge bell housing I believe with simply drilling the two bottom holes out on the GM NV4500 tranny which has two sets of ears that are not drilled or tapped on the bottom portion of its casing. Drill them two out to match the Dodge bell housing holes and then swap the input shaft for the same years dodge as well as the bearing retainer. Then I should be able to run the standard dodge clutch assembly as well.

As for the bell housing to the 4bt I now the 94-02 bell housings where factory mounted with the cummins 3923045 adapter plate off the engine.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
No.

If you had a 96+ gm nv yes

You have an early nv. Different everything.

How ever there was a guy here that had some variant early gm nv and was a le to do it but it was a special version requiering a full tear down and a +50% new replacement

You have to modify the countershaft front gear on the older version NV4500. It will work, ish, but won't handle the torque that a 96+ will. IIRC 450 ft/lbs max

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
I understand wanting to keep the nv4500 but he’s determined to ignore the input shaft problem...... should be a 4bt for sale when this whole thing goes sideways :laughing::laughing:
Don't even get me started with this whole 92-94 granny low NV. So far its been a headache to the point of simply selling it and just grabbing a 96+ dodger and call it good.
Well he seems to be learning a bit now. Hes trying to find an appropriate bell housing now at least

1 - 16 of 16 Posts