Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping for a new mild wheeler/ daily driver when needed. I've been looking at 88 and newer extra cab trucks. I know that i want a manual trannie, but i'm unsure of which motor to pursue. this won't be anything wild, that's what i got the other rig for. Really i guess I'm leaning towards the 4cyl, because i'll probably won't run anything over 33's and I'm just alittle gun shy of the 6cyl after all the headgasket stories and nightmares about working on them. So what's the deal which is better in it's own way? I mean I don't expect to scream down the highway, but I would like to be able to get out of my own way when needed. the horsepower ratings are fairly close aren't they? I mean the six doesn't just blow the 4 banger out of the water. Also I've had a toy 4cyl in a 80 truck before and it was very dependable, maybe that's why I'm alittle biased. your suggestions will be welcomed.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Get a 22RE-equipped truck. It's very reliable, easy to work on, and cheap to buy parts for. If you want power this is not the choice for future contender. However you can always swap in a 4.3L or something similar, versus beefing up the 3.0L V6 Toy engine.

I have 22RE truck on 33"s right now with the stock 4.10's and it does fine, even at 238K on the clock. Keeping it maintained is key. I also don't expect to have much speed, but hell, it's a pickup. It's not meant to go fast. I'll regear when I go to 35"s.

Hef

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.