Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post this up as Im already rolling with the project.

Project basics:
1995 Wrangler YJ
Started life as a 2.5l w/ 5spd

Chassis:
Fiberglass tub 4wd hardware
Fiberglass hood
Tube front fenders
Rebuilt frame
Shackle reversal

Engine:
4g63 6bolt DOHC 16v (Mitsubishi engine pulled from a eagle talon)
.20 JE Forged pistons
Manley H beam connecting rods
Clevite 77's throughout
ARP mains, head, and rod studs

Performance:
DSM link tuning and logging software
FIC 850cc injectors
Forced Performance HTA 68 turbo and FP manifold
3 in exhaust
Supra intercooler
Wally 255 fuel pump
6an fuel lines

Transmission and transfercase:
Gm Turbo 350 transmission
4g63 to GM trans adapter (Bill Hincher of Bills auto fab, Toledo OH)
Dana 300 transfer
Advanced Adapters turbo 350 to Dana 300 adapter

This is all the main components of the build I can rattle off the top of my head. This build is very different from most on here. I wanted to do something different and I am very familiar with the 4g63 and know of its capabilities. This jeep will mostly be street driven and light off road. Really don't plan to drown it in the mud or smash it in the rocks after all this work.

Wanted to get this post started and I will add pictures and continue the tread tonight as I'm headed to class now. More to come!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bump.

Curious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't hold my promise of more info and pictures of last night. I apologize, but I am headed to the garage now and will have more stuff up tonight.

Lack of power really didn't concern me. A stock awd talon weighs in around 3,000lbs and I can't see with all the fiberglass, this jeep weighing in more than that. With the turbo I'm running its spools pretty quickly (2000-2500rpm) and will flow enough to support 450 horse. I have no plans on making that amount. I feel a consistent 300hp will make for a fun ride.

Anyhow more to come in a few hours!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was the starting point.......

And this is where Im at now, a lot in between but i gotta track down and organize some of the pictures I got.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No recent updates and not a whole lot of progress lately. Trying to pull together the best way to rebuild the frame from the front shock mounts forward. Haven't been able to locate any 2.5" x 4" to match the original frame rails. Thinking of adapting down to a 2" x 4" rectangular tube. Working on figuring that out at the moment before I start mounting anything. Id like to have my reverse shackle kit on and have the jeep sitting close to ride height before trying to align and level the drive train. On top of everything else school and work have been kick my a$$, working 35-40 hrs a week plus a full time school schedule seems to tie up a good bit of my time.

Engine bay looks pretty spacious but by the time I get a rad, intercooler, trans cooler, intake and down pipe fabbed up it wont be as roomy lol. Im gonna be anxious to get this thing on a scale to see where it weights in when all is said and done.

Thanks for following guys!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
No recent updates and not a whole lot of progress lately. Trying to pull together the best way to rebuild the frame from the front shock mounts forward. Haven't been able to locate any 2.5" x 4" to match the original frame rails. Thinking of adapting down to a 2" x 4" rectangular tube. Working on figuring that out at the moment before I start mounting anything. Id like to have my reverse shackle kit on and have the jeep sitting close to ride height before trying to align and level the drive train. On top of everything else school and work have been kick my a$$, working 35-40 hrs a week plus a full time school schedule seems to tie up a good bit of my time.

Engine bay looks pretty spacious but by the time I get a rad, intercooler, trans cooler, intake and down pipe fabbed up it wont be as roomy lol. Im gonna be anxious to get this thing on a scale to see where it weights in when all is said and done.

Thanks for following guys!!
Nice i am susceibed
I have few questions
R u doing a 4cyl for fuel echonomie ?or only for the challenge to be a different than the others .
You are mating a 4 cyl to an auto that came from a v8 correct me if i am wrong ,
4 cyl rpm is 900 vs 8 cyl is 500 wont you have a big clunk when you go into drive ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Idle RPMs arent always at 900. Once up to operating temp rpms usually drop. I have helped with this swap in a 2wd application and going into drive or reverse wasnt an issue. My main reason for this swap is I am familar with the engine and this type of swap. I know what its capable of and yes like you said its somethibg very different from the usual.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Idle RPMs arent always at 900. Once up to operating temp rpms usually drop. I have helped with this swap in a 2wd application and going into drive or reverse wasnt an issue. My main reason for this swap is I am familar with the engine and this type of swap. I know what its capable of and yes like you said its somethibg very different from the usual.
Thanks i was thinking of somthing similar tdi vw and a land rover zf transmison and yes also i am familiar with the zf trans

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been a little slow on progress lately. I will post a few pictures tonight, got the front of the frame stripped and Im working on fabrication the new frame rails. Working on a few different projects along with school kills progress. In the middle of reassembling my 06 Wr450, had a worn shift shaft. Had to open up the side of the case and remove a lot of parts, waiting on some o rings and copper washers before I put it back together. I have also been spending a lot of time shopping for a Tig Welder. Looking at a everlast 250EX. Quality unit, great reviews, and within my college budget. Been wanting one for a long time, and Id like to use it to fabricate exhaust, intake, and other various parts for the jeep.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have had evil thoughts of using the same power plant in a 4x4 for the people that are worried about low end power i dont think they have seen the dyno charts for a fp 68hta turbo. Here is a very mild tune on pump gas at the wheels on a awd dsm. And on e-85 i believe the current record for the turbo like 501 hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been a little slow on progress lately. I will post a few pictures tonight, got the front of the frame stripped and Im working on fabrication the new frame rails. Working on a few different projects along with school kills progress. In the middle of reassembling my 06 Wr450, had a worn shift shaft. Had to open up the side of the case and remove a lot of parts, waiting on some o rings and copper washers before I put it back together. I have also been spending a lot of time shopping for a Tig Welder. Looking at a everlast 250EX. Quality unit, great reviews, and within my college budget. Been wanting one for a long time, and Id like to use it to fabricate exhaust, intake, and other various parts for the jeep.

Hey man, I'm in the middle of a similar build on a 95 Yj myself... If at all possible, would you mind helping me out with how you set up motor mounts? Feel free to send me a email if possible at [email protected]. It would be greatly appreciated. I've got a higher power goal and decided to keep all of the stock drive lines.. Look forward to hearing from you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts