Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those with 4.3 vortec/cpi
After reading about the 4L60E trans for the past hour or so, Im not totally sure thats the way i want to go, however, every engine combo deal around my area, even not in my area, 9 out of 10 come with the 4L60E. I read on here that you couldnt keep it in gear, like leave it in first, instead of "D", because its electronically controlled and at about 2.3 K or red line will switch to higher gear...which kits, like i think JTC?(I think), has something to fix this, or should i say screw it and go 700r4? how much is a valve job too? so i could have P N 1 2 3 4, instead of P N 4 3 2 1 ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
25,812 Posts
My 94 Impala SS would stay in 1st, but the one in my 96 SS would upshift at 300 RPM over redline. Might be something you can get programmed. Both had the 4L60E.

I don't know how much you want to spend but all my SS and F-body budies sent their tranny's to these guys when they wanted a bullet proof rebuild. http://www.levelten.com/

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
my 4l60e with a 4 to 1 tcase has never upshifted out of 1st gear without me telling it to. And that includes some real steep descents. I like the tranny and engine, though the 4.3 is not quite enough power. Next time 8.1 Vortech:D

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas for the help. I suppose I'll just see what happens.

82.. for me, ANYTHING is better than the 22R runnign on two... so I think the 4.3 is just want i need.... in time, maybe some serious beef after i roll this one enough and go balls to the wall...PS: good luck

thanks
Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts