Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
perfection in plasma
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98' zr2 blazer for a donor. i plan to use the motor and tyranny out of the blazer (vortec 4.3 and 4L60E tranny) but my problem is what t-case to use? this will be going in to a 1977 fj-40. originally i had planed to install this motor/tyranny combo and adapt the stock fj-40 t-case to the 4L60E. but the cost of doing this is quite high just to end up with a stock fj t-case. next i was thinking id install a atlas but, again id have to buy a costly adaptor to make this combo work. so now i am kind of stumped, what would you guys suggest i look into for a good reliable, durable t-case that will work with my fj?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
840 Posts
my 95 sonoma has a 4.3/4L60E/NP231. think you need an adapter or output shaft for the 4L60 if its from a 2wd but not sure. u can put just about whatever you want behind it, you just gotta have the money. maybe sell the 4L60 and go with a manual cuz 4.3s i beleive have sme bolt pattern as SBC so u can use a lot of different trannys

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If you can swallow buying a $2000 Atlas, the few $ for the adapter shouldn't bother ya.

I'm also in the same boat, but with a 350TPI & 700R4. My thoughts are leaning heavily towards a NV241 while I still have my cruiser axles.

Right now I have a tired/blown 305v8, SM 465, and NP205. With the 241, I'll lose the 2LO that I like so much, but I'll deal with it.

This combo (with stock 4.1 cruiser diffs) gives me a 34:1 crawl (not including the TC), which is alright for the east coast. I'd like to be deeper, but oh well. I'm on 38.5" SX's.

Ya could get a D300, but by the time you get the adapter, upgrade the rear output, toss in 4:1 gears, etc... YOU really have to decide if you need more than the 34:1. 4:1 D300 does give you 50:1, which is plenty with an auto. Better run 4-wheel discs though... stopping will be a bear!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
D300

I was going to go the 241 route too, but after trying to find the passenger drop one I needed, and took into account the fact I'd have to do a $350 SYE on it, and still have a chain driven case (albeit a pretty strong one) I decided to go with the stock D300.

The adapter to the 700R4 is a little over $400, which is the same as the cost of the 241 I needed (before the SYE!), but now I'll have a case that's twin-stickable, and I can get a 4:1 kit for it.

I picked up a D300 for $150, add the adapter @$400, make your own twin sticks, and your gold!

Plus - cutting brakes!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
D300= Jeep Cj's 80-86 pretty much all the same the 80 unit had a shorter tail shaft. Other then that all the same.

-RJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts