Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Chevy express, 2wd 4l80e, cut down output shaft and bolted up adaptor, installed 241c. I didn't know about the orfice for the 2wd rear lube. Over filled my t case and figured it out, bought the gm itty bitty freeze plug, $10, installed it, continued on my project, maybe putting 20 miles on it finishing up loose ends. My t case has been leaving drops on the driveway, and while I'm planning on re sealing it, I figured I'd top it off and put 100 miles on it tomorrow.
Pulled the plug and it was 1.5 quarts over full.

I already put in the 4wd galley plug, wtf? Besides dinner, what am I missing here?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't build or rebuild the case, I junked a fairly neglected 94 burb with a seized engine for it, but the tranny wasnt dry or burned, and the t case wasn't blowing oil out of everywhere, I'm thinking that at this rate of transfer, it would have been apparent?

Also, vehicle has been parked nose down in my driveway for a week, if it was that shot, it would have drained back, but maybe not, the input is higher than the fill plug

I do intend to pull and re seal the t case, and will inspect all that at that time, what about the trans, what should I be checking there?

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
It"s gotta be a bad input seal/ bearing, or a missing bolt going into the static shell gear in the front of the tcase. The freeze plug for the 2wd galley wouldn't have caused the tcase to over fill, just could potentially cause low oil pressure issues for the trans. Are you positive that the trans isn't also way over full? Possibly beyond the case vents (if you have vents T'd together)?

·
Registered
470 Posts
You did the right thing with the cup plug. Your input seal for your transfer case is bad. Hard/cracked. It is the only way for fluid to get into the case.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright

I put the van on level ground, maybe pointed up 1 degree.

Tranny is low, t case was level, with plug pulled,
I started it up, and watched the t case over flow drop drop drop

I guess I need to order the input seal, and maybe verify that a 2wd and 4wd 4l80e share the same output seal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts