Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of mounting a 4 link or a 3 link with jonny joints on one side of the link and poly bushings on the other? What about mounting the upper links with poly bushing and the lowers with jonny joints?

·
Registered
355 Posts
if you want to, you can run johnny joints on all 4 links, however, they require some space to move (since they swivel) and may interfere with the drive shaft, oil pan, or tranny. most people (i assume) use a bushing at one end and a johnny at another. you don't need to make the whole thing out of johnny joints. all the suspension arms my group and i have done have had either all bushings or bushings on the top arms and bushings and johnny joints on the lowers.

if you mount johnny joints on both ends, you will not have to remove the link to adjust it. if you put bushings on one end, you will have to remove one end of the link to adjust it.

i think its actually better to have a bushing on one end since it will allow it to deflect slightly on bumps and all that, making for a better ride.

here is a pic of my friends jeep. bushings at the axle end and two johnny joints on the top link (3 link). and yes i know there is no shock on the pass. side. however, with the larger joint on the upper mount, it interferes with the ds a little.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
its basically a ride quality/ intended use issue imo. if its for predominant trail use, i'd say go with JJ's on both ends of every link. it'll flex more...usually...without binding. the JJ's are also rebuildable and depending on which ones you buy, will have adjustable preload to account for aging. JJ's are also obviously a little more expensive than a bushing though.

the solid JJs will transmit a lot of NVH to the cab, so if that matters..ie a lot of street time... you may want to use bushings on one to soften it up.

You can still adjust a-bushing-on-one-end-link's length without removing the link if you use the bushings with threaded shanks welded on to the bushing sleeve and the correct lh/rh threads for corresponding ends, etc.

good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
I have johnny joints everywhere on my rig. As long as you don't exceed 60 degrees of deflection in the joints you will be fine. As stated above you can get left hand and right hand threaded JJs so you can adjust your arms on the vehicle which is very nice.

I used JJs everywhere because my suspension links control my side to side movement. My thought was bushings, regardless of composition, would deteriorate very rapidly if it had to do the job of a track bar and control arm. So I solid mounted my link ends and there is no negative movement. I'm running 14" travel coilovers and can not max out 60 degrees of deflection.

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
The ride quality thing is over-rated...the jonny joints soak up plenty of vibrations from the road especially seeing as their centers are actually poly bushings as well. They are not made the same way as a heim. If you are going to do a combo of joints, do bushing at one end and jonny at the other, this way each arm can flex. if you do bushings at both ends of an arm you will wear the poly out faster since it will be doing all the flexing.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I have johnny joints everywhere on my rig. As long as you don't exceed 60 degrees of deflection in the joints you will be fine. As stated above you can get left hand and right hand threaded JJs so you can adjust your arms on the vehicle which is very nice.

I used JJs everywhere because my suspension links control my side to side movement. My thought was bushings, regardless of composition, would deteriorate very rapidly if it had to do the job of a track bar and control arm. So I solid mounted my link ends and there is no negative movement. I'm running 14" travel coilovers and can not max out 60 degrees of deflection.
you just brought up an excellent point, i hadn't even considered that. bushings may not be well suited to any non-panhard suspension setup.

edit: 200th post. in 4.5 years!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont want a panhard bar. At least not on the rear. I want to triangulate the top links and run the bottom links straight. But on the front I may have to install a panhard. The rear is going to be 4 linked. The front I want to try a 3 link system. What would be the best design for the front?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
i say JJ's everywhere, heims on the panhard...unless you want to go full hyrdo and double triang 4link on the front too.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I got J joints all the way around, except for the front upper links are hiem joints (left hand J Joints were on backorder for about 4 months). I like the idea of having fully adjustable links and not having to take them off to adjust them.

·
Registered
677 Posts

How much side to side movement did you see in your front 4-link? I am just finishing mine up and figured I would see some slight side to side movement becasue of how much deflection the JJs can get. I thought it might be around 1" either way.

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
I don't have any movement side to side. The deflection in the bushings only works for the twisting motion in the control arms.

·
Registered
292 Posts
...the solid JJs will transmit a lot of NVH to the cab, so if that matters..ie a lot of street time... you may want to use bushings on one to soften it up...
I have to disagree. I have had JJ's on one end of each of my TB's, and on both ends of all of my CA's for over 3 years of daily driving and trail driving and have not had any increase in NVH into the cab...

I say run the JJ's and don't look back.

:beer:

·
Registered
824 Posts
nvh? Noise... vibration...??

To add to this. What about binding with only one joint and a bushing? Would you max out the misalignment of the jj with only one per link... say for a 14" coilover, front or rear application whether it be 3 or 4 link.

·
Registered
120 Posts
save the money
go bushings and jj's
4link rear
3link front

unless you're wanting to c r a w l
then go all jj's

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Depending on your travel, and link length, (14" or more) a single JJ may not mis align enough.

Using a bushing combo you need something with more misalignment on the non bushing end. Like an Evo heim or something similar. JJ have 15 degrees, most heims have 25-30 degrees.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Depending on your travel, and link length, (14" or more) a single JJ may not mis align enough.

Using a bushing combo you need something with more misalignment on the non bushing end. Like an Evo heim or something similar. JJ have 15 degrees, most heims have 25-30 degrees.

Its been awhile, but I'm pretty sure Johhny Joints have more than 30*. In any case, I have a 4 link rear, 3 link with panhard front and am using Johnny Joints. I did it for easy replacement, rebuidale, and you can adjust the length with very little effort. Downside is COST COST COST. it will cost 4x as much after the joints, tubing adapters, locking nuts, all that good stuff

It comes down to a personal decision you have to make for yourself. In eaither way, I've never heard someone say "Damn, I coulda made it up that rock if I had 5* more misalignment in my right upper control arm"

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Its been awhile, but I'm pretty sure Johhny Joints have more than 30*. In any case, I have a 4 link rear, 3 link with panhard front and am using Johnny Joints. I did it for easy replacement, rebuidale, and you can adjust the length with very little effort. Downside is COST COST COST. it will cost 4x as much after the joints, tubing adapters, locking nuts, all that good stuff

It comes down to a personal decision you have to make for yourself. In eaither way, I've never heard someone say "Damn, I coulda made it up that rock if I had 5* more misalignment in my right upper control arm"
JJ's are 30 degrees if you include both directions. Heims are 50-60 if you put it that way.

Binding wont stop you getting up obsticals, it can and will tear up bushings, brackets and arms on a regular basis if you are running in "bind" a lot.

I run JJ's all the way around on most my arms. IMHO, they are the best of both worlds with soft isolation, and good misalignment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts