Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently put a skyjacker ifs 4' lift on my truck, was just wondering if i should run stock ball joints or if there is a better ball joint that i should run? Also after i installed the lift i noticed a vibration while i was accelerating but then when i stopped or pushed in the clutch it went away. I talked to skyjacker and they said that i could use my original driveshaft. Would i need to rebalance my shaft or is it possible that my pinion angle is off? I KNOW IFS SUCKS but the lift i paid 600 for with new leafsprings.

·
Registered
387 Posts
In my experience, Skyjacker leaves something to be desired when it comes to engineering. I'd guess that your rear shaft is out of alignment. I hope it's not a "softride" set, or it will be a 2" lift in a few months. On the rear axle I believe skyjacker uses shims. I'd guess that they are the same shims they use for a std minitruck which IIRC has a longer wheel base. The truck uses a two piece rear shaft with a carrier bearing, I dont recall what a early 4runner uses. You may be able to solve your problem by shimming the carrier bearing position to compensate.

If balance is a problem, it should continue when you let off the power/push in clutch. If it's a alignment problem it may be increased under power as the pinion will rotate up a degree or two, applying force to the shaft will take up any slack such as worn joints etc. that may hide the vibration.

good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts