Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., with the recent arrival of our daughter, we are looking for a 96-99 4runner. Ideally, I would like to get the diff. lock, but kinda hard to find. I have found a 97 SR5 5spd w/ 81K miles for $10,999, no diff. lock (locally) and I have found a 99 SR5 auto w/ 108K miles and the diff lock. for $12,500 (though it is 360 miles away). What would everyone do?? How hard is it to locate a factory diff. lock? The 4runner will be taken on the Rubicon next yera, so I am planning on a lift and tires. No other major trails in its future, as we have a built early bronco for those. If I can locate a rear diff. locker, that isn't outrageous, I would get the 97. Also, what is a good place to look for 4runner parts and such, besides pirate? TIA for your help and guidance.

CRACKER

·
Registered
988 Posts
an arb can be had for 600.
or you can get the elec locker in a new factory diff for a little more.

derek

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ARB plus compressor will run around $800. I would like to stick with a factory locker if possible. How hard are they to find used??

·
Bug Nerd
7,167 Posts
When I was in the market for a new 4runner, I found that they were pretty hard to find with the locker. It seems like all the people with 4runners and TRD packages are all custom orders. They arent plentiful like the TRD Tacos are. I did find a few manual runners with the elocker though, so I know they are out there. If I was in your shoes and I could wait to search around a little more, I would keep my eyes peeled for that perfect manual elocker runner. But then again, this is just me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after driving the 97 4runner, we have decided to shoot for the 99. The 97 had alot of "little" things wrong with it. So it makes you wonder what else the PO did not do to maintain it. Plus, the front end is way out of alignment, so it would need new tires as well as an alignment to be road worthy. By the time I get everything fixed/replaced, it will end up costing us as much , if not more than the 99.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have an '01 4runner auto tranny and no locker. It does pretty well for a stock rig. I would think that swapping a factory e-locker into the rear, putting a lift on and some 33's would get you over the Rubicon. Probably not the Little Sluice, but that not what it sounds like you are after.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clay said:
I have an '01 4runner auto tranny and no locker. It does pretty well for a stock rig. I would think that swapping a factory e-locker into the rear, putting a lift on and some 33's would get you over the Rubicon. Probably not the Little Sluice, but that not what it sounds like you are after.
Thanks for the info. We want to be able to run the trail and then explore northern Calif. for our vacation. Alot easier to drive out there in the 4runner, than tow our Bronco all over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts