Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey just picked up a 4runner that has no rear seat...i thought it was simply removed.

lo and behold i really look back there and i see that there is no carpet, and a waffled sheetmetal panel with a large lip on the front edge to prevent loads frim hitting the back of the front seats. :eek: very cool, in my opinion!:)

is this a factory option? part of a trim "package"? or just an aftermarket piece? thanks.

regards
brian

P.S. sorry for the fuzzy pic...need to clean my lens i guess....

·
Registered
652 Posts
there were a few of these produced and imported when the 4runner was origionally designed. Im not sure what year they stopped, but ive seen some 84's before

·
Registered
136 Posts
My first 4runner had that metel piece, in fact I still have it lying around .:) Mine was an 86 but it had differant panals then yours does. and it had (still have) a full length rubber mat. I heard that they imported all 4runner like this and added seat later for the reason of importing them as "trucks"

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well at first I was really poor so I took out my 88 camery back seat with my dads truck seat belts. HAHAHA it was bad!! I ended up going to viking auto in redding and got sr5 seats (front, rear and the carpet for the back, as well as the panals) for a few hundred. the seats were like new, no wear at all! I wish I changed them out when I sold the runner!

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
kodiak1232003 said:
hmm...cool! thanks for the replies.

so is there a "special" seat that fits this type? its an 87.
That panel is removed and the typical back seat is installed.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Somebody posted that the rear seat is the option the flat floor is the normal configuration of the imports.

Its was a Tax deal was what the story said. If it had the back seat when imported it would have a higher tax. Without the seat it was able to be called a Pick Up Truck instead of a SUV and pay a lot less import taxes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
did you get the tray piece that sits back there?

·
Registered
455 Posts
justinmnhall said:
My first 4runner had that metel piece, in fact I still have it lying around .:) Mine was an 86 but it had differant panals then yours does. and it had (still have) a full length rubber mat. I heard that they imported all 4runner like this and added seat later for the reason of importing them as "trucks"
do you want to get rid of it by any chance?

·
Registered
222 Posts
i saw a pannel like that on e bay. its definatly cool and i like it. but then i remebered that the back seats fold flat anyways:p

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
did you get that runner in oceanside?

your the guy that bought it from under me, jesse was holding it for me. it was a 2 hour drive for me and i was 30 minutes away...total bs.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Somebody posted that the rear seat is the option the flat floor is the normal configuration of the imports.

Its was a Tax deal was what the story said. If it had the back seat when imported it would have a higher tax. Without the seat it was able to be called a Pick Up Truck instead of a SUV and pay a lot less import taxes.
Yep, it was directly related to taxes. With no back seat the 4Runner could be classified as a truck. The back seats were a port installed upgrade.

:smokin:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My 86 4Runner doesnt have a back seat, looks like that. It has a full legnth rubber mat in the rear. I'm gonna leave it like that, then no one can bum rides off me, plus it leave room for tool boxes and sleeping.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
waskillywabbit said:
Yep, it was directly related to taxes. With no back seat the 4Runner could be classified as a truck. The back seats were a port installed upgrade.

I am not disputeing this, but why did all the PU trucks that came in not have a bed on them?

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
OOP'S said:
I am not disputeing this, but why did all the PU trucks that came in not have a bed on them?
IIRC it was Tariffs. Assembling here avoided the Tariff. Wasn't possible w/ the 4Runner, but classifying as a truck still reduced the heftier tax burden of the passenger car...

... I think...

EDIT: Heck, I don't know. If it was pure taxes, all 4Runners would have had the panel when they arrived from Japan...

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
OOP'S said:
Who says they didn't? Whats to say the panels weren't shipped back to Japan and reused?

Stuff like this is done all the time. Most economy cars don't come to the US with A/C. The parts for the A/C are shipped separate. Again a way around some of the taxes.

I bought a new Trooper in 88. Found out the power windows were a dealer option. Same deal. Helped lower the taxes.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
rockota said:
IIRC it was Tariffs. Assembling here avoided the Tariff. Wasn't possible w/ the 4Runner, but classifying as a truck still reduced the heftier tax burden of the passenger car...

... I think...

EDIT: Heck, I don't know. If it was pure taxes, all 4Runners would have had the panel when they arrived from Japan...
It was not the fact that it had or did not have a panel that reduced the taxes, it was the fact that it DID NOT have a rear seat, thus classified as a "truck" to reduce taxes. The rear seats were a port added option. I talked to a salesman at the local Toy dealer about this some time ago...and he is old enough to have lived through it. :D

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
waskillywabbit said:
It was not the fact that it had or did not have a panel that reduced the taxes, it was the fact that it DID NOT have a rear seat, thus classified as a "truck" to reduce taxes. The rear seats were a port added option. I talked to a salesman at the local Toy dealer about this some time ago...and he is old enough to have lived through it. :D

very cool disscussion, thanks for the facts...i'll might hold onto it unless someone REALLY wants it. i'd sell it pretty cheap. (maybe i could trade for a correct rear seat? that'd be cool.)

i just found out a couple weeks ago that my family of three is soon to be a family of four. :eek: :eek::grinpimp: so a rear seat is mandatory. (and my j10 is bye-bye:( )

1 - 20 of 61 Posts